Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Get in the Game

My son desires to play football next season.  I despise the thought.  I will support him for sure, but I just do not want my little man out there for others to tackle and beat up.  I do not have faith in the equipment worn for protection.  Football is a tough sport.  I could not tell you one thing about the plays or when a call should be made.  What I can tell you is I hear about many injuries, I see dangerous blows in the games (yes, I watch, but have no understanding) and the practices are tough on a little boy. 

My son could tell you everything about football.  He knows the lingo, the plays, the players and he loves to watch.  I try and convince him that he would be a great coach, announcer or official.  Becoming a player is too tough, increases risk for injury and would cause my nails to exist no longer. 

We told him if he begins next season, he must finish next season.  He cannot quit midway because of the work, dedication, discipline and demands that come with signing up.  He cannot give up.

"In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples." (Luke 14:33) 

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25)

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14) 

Being a Christian and following Jesus wholeheartedly is tough.  This broken world brings hardships.  The enemy prowls around watching and waiting for us to fumble, fall or step wrongly.  He then comes in like a roaring lion looking to devour our heart, mind and soul.  The enemy wants us tackled, buried under the pressures of this world. 

Going into each day, we know trials will occur.  We know the day will not go perfectly.  But, we cannot just sit back and avoid it.  We cannot refuse to enter the game for fear of failure, pain, sadness or becoming uncomfortable.  We must walk boldly for Christ.  Pick up our cross DAILY and give our whole being to God.  If my son chooses to play football, he cannot just go to practices, only wear the equipment that is comfortable or stand off to the side.  He cannot just watch his teammates get demolished because he fears going in there and fighting to protect his team. 

We must get in the game.  Fight for what we know is right - His Truth.  We must not sit on the sidelines and watch as our loved ones, friends and those we meet continually get tackled by the enemy.  Follow Christ wholeheartedly.  Put on the full armor.  Do not pick and choose only the comfortable pieces.  Take each piece and carefully place it on each day.  Use the armor to further His Kingdom.

Refuse to quit because of the work, dedication, discipline and demands required.  Obeying Him is the only way to victory.  He will never give up on you and will never leave.  Choose Him, not the easy way out!  Jesus died for us so we may live an abundant life.  He did not choose the easy way out.  He never quit, did not chose to sit on the sidelines; He kept focused on His Father and followed His Will.

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for protecting me with a full armor.  I am here to endure this life for You.  I know my reasons here are not known by me, but I will daily look to You for guidance.  I may not understand everything or feel I have the capabilities to complete what is asked; but, I will follow.  Help me through the game of life.  I know as long as there is breath in me; I am to follow Your Will.  Use me, I am here!  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment