Sunday, November 6, 2011

Recruit the Holy Spirit

Marriage may present many difficulties.  Adding children in the mix can increase strain to an already rocky relationship.  Who suffers the most in the end?  The children, each in their own unique way.  My parents did the best they knew at the time.  They struggled behind closed doors and kept focused on providing for us kids the way each of them thought best.  As a child, I never NEEDED anything.  My dad provided financial and saved up money for our future endeavors.  My mom comforted, took care of daily requirements for survival and ran us where needed.  Both were great parents.  But, something was missing.

Neither one was happy inside.  You can only wear a mask for so long before the true hurt and sadness reveals.  As we grew up, my parents grew apart.  Their focus remained on the kids and not their marriage.  Of course, other factors led to the separation of my parents that were personal to them; but as a married woman, I now realize the required piece of the puzzle remained absent in their relationship.   

I learned so much as I began my walk with God on the importance of marriage.  I have learned what God intended for marriage and the steps required to maintain the relationship despite any outside influences.  The union between two people must remain healthy in order for the family to run properly.  Satan wants nothing more than to destroy marriages so to crumble the whole team God placed together. 

What ways can we protect families from Satan's schemes?  What steps will keep marriage full of love?

Let us turn to Scripture to see. . .

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

". . .But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

Love your spouse the way God intended.  Wake up each morning and place God at the center of your marriage.  Follow His ways and obey His commands to bond closer each day.  Seek God with all your heart, soul and mind.  Then, you will be fulfilled and walk in relationship with God.  He holds the plans for your future as a wife or husband.  Through His strength, you will be the spouse He created. 

God knew exactly what He was doing when He placed your family together.  The intent was to create a team that would work together for good, to serve and obey Him and further His Kingdom.  Throw away selfish acts, anxious thoughts, cruel and rude words, jealous mindsets, list of wrongs and lack of loyalty.  Place God on top of the priority list, then spouse, then children.  Follow the ways of our Lord and protect the happiness of your spouse, hope in the times spent together and persevere through the tough trials.  Keep sacred the vows announced on your wedding day and extend a hand of grace to each other.  Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and seek to honor Him in every relationship.  Protect your home by inviting the Holy Spirit to join your team!

God, thank you for another day to serve.  As I walk closely with You, show me how to love my husband, to honor and respect him, to cherish every moment I have here with him and to work as a team to obey Your commands.  Teach me the ways to discipline my children, love them for who You made them to be and laugh with them.  Thank You for my teammates in life.  I love them dearly.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment