Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Too Close



We entered the gym, found a perfect spot in mid court (in order to remain neutral) and nestled into our residence for the next three hours.  The event held consisted of about eight teams travelling from far distance to play basketball.  We came only to support the best looking individual on the court and one of the most important individuals in a basketball game. . .you know the one wearing stripes and solid black pants! 

My husband officiates often and we go to watch for pure enjoyment of the game and in support.  Travelling alongside him we see various schools all with unique gymnasiums.  We see various coaches increasing their blood pressure well beyond healthy for extended periods of time. 

During this particular tournament, we experienced both.  Follow me with this one. . .looking over the gym, my daughter noticed the majority of the seats painted green with a random amount painted white.  My son tried to explain to her that the pattern of white spelled the initials of the school.  My daughter struggles to take an explanation/direction and image it in her mind.  She gets it honest, I struggle as well.  I simply told her that we are too close to the seats to see the initials.  One would need to be across court or up on a ladder to see the purpose of the random white seats.  Moving further along, we watched as a particular coach paced the floor, clinched fists, complained with each whistle and yelled numerous times.  I interpret this as an individual too close to the game, placed in a position creating bondage to winning and ready to push blame anywhere else when the score shows different. 

These observations later held purpose as I began reminiscing the past year and thinking of goals for the next year.  Travelling back in memory I saw various moments all with unique outcomes.  I remembered those times stirring up stress well beyond healthy for extended periods of times even leading to a depression. 

Seeing all the above flash before my very eyes alerted the enemy have a seat and join in on this fun!  The enemy desires for me to gather all these memories and build regret, shame and anger.  Luckily Someone else showed up to this venture down memory lane. . .

God revealed Himself in each and every memory.  Remember my struggle shared above involving difficulty imagining in my mind explanations or directions without walking through or seeing with my eyes.  God understands this about me; therefore, in order to grasp His Power, Truth and Love, He walks through the storms with me.  Often, He reminds that I am too close to the situation to see the end results.  I simply must trust Him with the results, believe what He promises and develop faith.  My daughter needed to trust me with the information given about the bleachers, believe what was said and have faith in her mother’s knowledge.  Is there a decision or situation requiring this trust, belief and faith you may be facing currently?     
‘He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20

God revealed the pointless anxiety built up leading to depression and causing unnecessary health problems in the past year.  Yet, He gently said, “I will not waste a one of them.”  See, as we struggle and make it through each storm, we develop strength when relying on our Savior as the guide.  He will take all the mess and turn it into ministry using you as a vessel.  I immediately wanted to develop bondage to my past and push blame onto others for the way it turned out.  He reassured me I was too involved in the game to see the whole picture, too focused on success/approval to realize His work in it and too eager to blame others.  Is there a moment in your past or present that feels like failure?  Is there a moment in your past or present building anxiety/depression?
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28      

We are too close to the situation. . .trust in the One Who knows from beginning to end.  He will lead you through and use every moment for good.  Have faith in the works taking place in your life.  Avoid saving a seat for the enemy in recalling the past.  The enemy will build regret, shame and anger.  Hold God’s hand while walking down memory lane and let Him speak into each moment.


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.  
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment