Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Time Wasted


After getting ready to attend my husband’s company Christmas party, I began preparing the children to go to Nana’s for the evening.  Along the way, my son made a very logical, down to Earth statement concerning the attire chosen for the party.  He said, “I don’t understand why you dress so nice to go to the party to play games.”  He continued, “Girls waste too much of their lives in front of the mirror dressing up.”  That is a thought stopper. . .

See, the company holds the party at a restaurant with attached arcade.  My husband and I burn up the basketball game every time.  Knowing this, my son poses a great point; why dress up to play basketball?  I respond generically to the statement, “Dressing up for company parties is how it works, it is nice to get dolled up for an evening out with your dad.”  I went on to say, “Get used to it, you will have many dates consisting of you waiting patiently while she finishes preparing herself for the evening.”  He asked what to do while waiting. . .my response, “Sit on the couch and hold a conversation with her dad!”

The night moved on, I strapped up my heels and ventured out to accompany my handsome husband to the party.  We played numerous rounds of basketball until no more credit remained on the play card.  We greeted all the employees and spouses, held various conversations and enjoyed the meal.  Returning home only to crash into bed, I gave no thought to the comment my son made earlier in the evening.

Morning came too soon.  As I rolled out of bed to place my feet on the ground, it happened.  Pain shot from my foot to hip.  Why this pain?  I must have slept wrong or something because I did not fall (as is normally the case).  Nope, it was the numerous basketball rounds played in heels.  All for what?  The attire chosen intended to impress my husband’s co-workers.  I could not show up in tennis shoes, jeans and a shirt, right?  They need to know he has a beautiful, well dressed, lovely wife at home.  Pain is beauty, right?  This process is just part of being a woman, right?

Oh, and then God spoke directly to my heart with an ole familiar Scripture. . .
“My dear Sheree”: “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”  Galatians 1:10

We spend half our lives choosing outfits, drying hair, styling hair, applying makeup, changing the outfit previously put on, matching shoes to outfits, etc.  Oh, the things we could accomplish with all that time.  What benefit is received by all this time performing the above?  The pain of comparison once arrived at destination, shame of true beauty inside, guilt of investing so much time in self or defeat when the enemy’s lies take over our thoughts.  This does not sound fun or beneficial to me.

The longer we spend in front of the mirror, the more lies the enemy can conjure up and convince of their reality.  Then the Truth fades and we leave the house weak.  My dear friends remember the Truth is what sets you free.  True beauty, the kind which attracts other to you, lay in your heart.  True beauty does not come from a store.  It cannot be applied generously with a small foam sponge.  It does not come from jewelry, shoes or purses.  And it will not be displayed as a result of heat source to your hair.  Beauty shines from the inside and moves outward.  As lies creep in stealing our joy, that shine fades.
Let’s take a stand against society’s definition of beauty.  Cover your mirror with notes filled up by Scriptures. . .

“He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet[a] no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.”  Ecclesiastes 3:11

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.  Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.”  1 Peter 3:3-4

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”  Psalm 139:14

And many more. . .These will put the enemy in his place!
Keep praying harder than the devil can work.  Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment