Sunday, December 7, 2014

True, Lasting Joy


I love basketball.  I mean deeply love it.  Something about the feel of the court under my feet, sound of squeaky shoes and the vision of a ten foot goal sends joy through every fiber of my being.  Still, at my age, I enjoy a good ole game of hoops!  I am no Michael Jordan, but can dribble well and shoot decent.  Playing basketball brings memories to the forefront of when life was normal.  My family still lived together; I was a part of a team, had friends and did not play the comparison game with others.  You know that game. . .the one where everyone else is better, prettier, more popular and greater than you in some way.  The only game I played was basketball!  Life was great!

Now seeing my children develop the skills required to play the great game of basketball, I wish the same life for them.  I want them to experience the joy, be part of a team, enjoy friends and hold on to a skill to feel worth.  Oh, how easy it becomes for parents to live vicariously through their children.  Whether it be career, sports, organizations, religion, etc.; parents often fall into a trap of pushing children to do/perform/work just as they did to receive the joy, pride and life they experienced.  Well, it does not always work out as such. 

My children may not like basketball one bit and for me that needs to be okay.  No two persons are the same; therefore, likes/dislikes vary amongst people.  Pushing children to be like us does just that, pushes.  It pushes them away, pushes them to reach perfection in order to bring the parent pride and it pushes them to find worth in worldly activities or accomplishments.  “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”  (Galatians 1:10)  How is pushing our kids helping them find self-worth or joy? 

Sadly, it is NOT helping them.  I am guilty myself.  One week my daughter did not want to go to basketball camp and I felt disappointment.  I had to remind myself that she is not me and is developing a character based on who God created her to be.  Joy does not come in worldly forms.  “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 
(2 Corinthians 10:3-5) 

31 years passed and I now realize the world is not perfect, people disappoint, activities fail, hatred dwells and perfection cannot be reached.  Thankfully, we live IN this world but are not OF this world.  God created us to be like Him, work diligently to build His Kingdom and return safely to His arms in Heaven (our true Home).  Thankfully, though storms rage around us, God already won the battle.  He overcame evil and washed all sin clean by giving His only Son to die for you and for me. 

I realize now joy comes from another source than daily activities or accomplishments.  Joy comes from knowing who we are in Christ and living by guidance of the Holy Spirit.  We are to teach the next generation to seek joy in the right place.  Teach them to find worth in the One who never disappoints, never leaves and never rejects.  He offers an indescribable prize none can fathom.  Keeping our eyes on the prize will bring daily joy.  Something about the feel of freedom as you walk down the straight path, sound of praise given daily to God and the vision of His presence in your situation will send joy through every fiber of your being.  That is the true, lasting joy that I pray my children can feel.  Again, I cannot push them or make them have this; but, I can guide, teach and provide the example so they can come to know this joy.  Whatever they choose to do in life is up to them and I pray they reach to God for guidance with each decision. 

The greatest gift I can provide as a parent in decision making is prayer; prayer for strength, discernment and confidence.  For I know the plans God created for my children include hope and prosperity.  His Promises always ring true.  My children will not need to recall a memorable time in life to feel joyous; yet, will feel the daily joy of living in Christ.  Let us do the same!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig        

No comments:

Post a Comment