Sunday, December 21, 2014

Independence Creates Distance



My daughter reached the age when sharing a stall with mom in public restrooms no longer felt necessary to her.  Little miss independent decided to occupy her own while mom chose the one directly to the right or left.  While completing the mission, we carry a conversation to confirm the presence of one another.  At times, she even placed a hand underneath and waved to ease this momma’s worried mind.

All went well each time, but as years passed she became quicker and I became slower.  She inevitably finished before me every time.  Therefore, I came up with a system that worked so she could keep independent and I would not worry about someone taking her.  When finished, she would stand directly in front of my stall in order for me to see her shoes.  The presence of feet eased my mind knowing she was okay.

Growing older, we still run through the same scenario.  Depending on the location, I will allow her to go wash hands without me and meet up after I am done.  All I say is “Let me see your feet,” and she comes to me to make her presence known.  I love this little girl and would never want anything to happen or anyone to take her from me.  While children fight for independence, parents hold on tightly to the ropes.  In order to create peaceful environments, confident children and sane parents; we must let go a bit and let our children do for themselves.  Compromise is vital and works out 99% of the time.  Children feel the independence and learn how the world works while we still hold a close eye on the situations.

As Christians, pride may creep into the situation at hand and tell us that sharing this moment with God need not be necessary.  We got this one!  But thanks anyway for the offer God.  Little independent Christian here will offer God a seat to the right or left in order to watch but not participate in the steps leading to a huge decision, a move down the path or completion of a project/goal.  We often lack conversation with God as the time passes leaving strength depleted and endurance minimized.

While one decision fails after another, we inevitably work in our timing while God remains waiting.  The situation never turns out as desired due to a thief creeping in to steal, kill and destroy.  Pride keeps us from realizing the wrong moves made each day.  We may reach out to God and say, “Let me see your feet, make Your presence known,” yet continue to move without His guiding.  We move further away from Him placing us in risky territory and prime spot for the enemy to make a move.  The enemy’s foothold widens as we fight for fleshly independence.

My friends let us realize the need for God’s active presence in our lives.  He remains omnipresent, but the Holy Spirit within cannot by activated in a rebellious environment.  We must continue to carry a conversation to confirm the relationship and active presence of God daily.  There will be many times when our hands must reach out and hold on tightly while He carries us through a situation.  Let Him see your feet so that He may guide them swiftly down the path in His timing.  As maturity occurs in our Christian lives, God takes us mighty places knowing we can be trusted.  Walk by faith and He will take you places you never imagined possible, providing some independence all while keeping a close eye and an open hand.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment