Sunday, December 14, 2014

Not a Decibel Problem




Confession: I have a hearing problem.  Not one relating to decibel level, but one of comprehension.  I often hear the words one said, but construe them to a completely different word.  Typically, this process destroys the meaning of the sentence, ruins a good joke or just leaves me looking at the other with a dumbfounded expression.  The problem grows worse as each year passes.  I learned to simply ask in a kind way for a repeat of the sentence to understand the flow of conversation.

The hard times come when my daughter or son says something and I misconstrue or ask for a rewind of what they said.  Both get frustrated with me or sometimes think they used incorrect grammar or feel they need to shout at me.  It is not a decibel problem, but a comprehension problem. 

One day, I was in the shower (I know, too much info; sorry, it helps me in this situation to include this detail) and my daughter decides to come hold a conversation in the bathroom.  The shower running along with the fan did not coincide well with my hearing problem.  She spoke what seemed to be an important sentence which I did not understand.  I asked for a repeat. . .still not understanding, asked for another repeat. . .“Okay,” I said, “One more time, honey, I did not catch what you said.”  With that, frustration arose.  “Mom, will just listen to what I am saying.”  Of course, explaining my problem to a six year old is quite difficult; but, I tried anyhow.  In the end, she explained the sentence to me, forgave for the misunderstanding and moved on with the day.

This exact problem carries over to my spiritual life as well.  More of you may relate to this aspect of my problem than the above mentioned.  No matter the decibel God uses when speaking to me, I still stand at risk of not comprehended the message clearly.  The Truth lay right in front of my eyes; yet, somewhere between eyes and mind, the message construes.  This process destroys the meaning behind the message which then leads to a snowball effect of wrong choices.  This repeated itself often in the beginning of my Christian journey.  Luckily, this hearing problem grows weaker as each year passes.  The weaker it becomes, the stronger my bond with God. 

Thankfully, God never showed frustration or felt the need to send a different message due to my misunderstanding.  He stood faithful in His Promises and simply waited for clarity to come to the situation.  His arms never closed, His grace never ran empty. 

Many “things” creep into daily living which aggravates our spiritual hearing problem.  You know those days when the enemy keeps knocking at the door with lie after lie to drown the voice of God.  The moments when the day goes nothing like we planned.  Pain and suffering spin out of control leaving us dizzy in its dust unable to think clearly.  Or, we simply don’t want to hear the answer He provides due to the difficulty in taking that step, the faith needed to follow His Truth or the world tells us it can’t happen.  Guess what my friends, it can happen.  Faith will see you through and strength will abound.  The steps may be difficult, but be patient; He will provide everything you need with each step taken in His direction. 

Listen closely, for He will not raise His decibel to extreme measures to gain attention.  He speaks softly and repeatedly until we finally grasp His Truth.  He forgives all who come in repentance no matter the span of time taken to finally comprehend His Word.  As we take Him as Lord and Savior over our lives and continue to lay it all at the cross daily, He provides grace, love and guidance to move on with the day.  Seek Him first and patiently wait in His Presence until completely understanding the next step in your journey. 

“let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance— for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise.  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”  Proverbs 1:5-7


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig     

No comments:

Post a Comment