Monday, February 27, 2012

Turning Back Destroys His Plan

We enjoyed the beautiful weather as we walked together one evening.  The kids talked, laughed and took in the scenery.  I put one foot in front of the other as best I could, continuing forward.  My husband ran ahead to get a more intense workout than a casual walk.  We kept going until he came back to us.  As we turned around, the road seemed much longer and the van so far away.  I had not realized the distance traveled because I focused on the children, nature and fresh air. 

My legs screamed to be done and give up.  I began focusing on simply surviving the duration of the walk leading to our van.  My children continued to laugh, talk and take in scenery.  I, on the other hand shifted that enjoyment to thinking, "Will I ever make it back?" and, "If I do, I am going to collapse in the van seat." 

As I began the walk, I kept my focus on the purpose of our walk and my perseverance increased.  I felt encouraged, revived, renewed and strengthened.  With each step, I engaged in the moment.  I shared in conversation with my children, learned with them and appreciated the life given to me.  Then, turning back shifted my demeanor to negative, discouraged, weakened and finished.  Why such a drastic transformation?

I changed my focus; I turned back and forgot all about the goodness that lay before me.

"Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
   and be steadfast in all your ways.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
   keep your foot from evil." (Proverbs 4:26-27)

Okay, so turning back is required when walking for exercise.  We would never reach our house if we continued forward.  BUT, in our spiritual walk, we must not turn back.  Turning back prevents us from reaching our Eternal Home with God.  Reverting to old ways, habits and attitudes keep us from completing the plan laid out for our lives.  Rid yourself of the past, never to look back again. 

Keep focus on the path ahead and assure your feet step as God intends.  Look up for guidance.  Take in the scenery, learning all you can from the places He leads.  Talk, laugh and enjoy our great Creator.  Engage in every opportunity presented to bring others closer to Him.  Stay on the path leading to Heaven.  Appreciate the life given to you.  He loved us so much that He gave His only Son to die so we may carry out an abundant life here on Earth.  Take a moment and meditate on that sentence. . .

God breathed life into each of us with a purpose.  You are important and here for a reason.  Put off your old self, turn forward and follow Him.

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for the chance to live this day in a way pleasing to You.  Keep my eyes forward, my thoughts positive and body moving.  May I never become idle, negative or revert to old ways of living.  Thank You for Truth which nourishes my soul.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment