Wednesday, February 8, 2012

ONE Night is not Enough

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34-35)

"Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart." (1 Peter 1:22)

Valentine's Day approaches and around the world displays of affection will radiate between couples.  A specific price equals love.  The degree of love depends on the item sent or handed to each other.  On average, men will spend $166 and women $90.  Why?  Because we want to take this ONE day and express all the love our hearts hold for another.  How?  Through gift giving, of course.  Our society loves "things".  We "feel" good when possessions accumulate.  So, the gift giving idea helps us show love to another person and brings a smile to their face.

Gifts are fantastic.  Not all gifts must come through monetary means, though.  Valentine's Day is great.  Couples will go on dates (maybe the first one since last year), friends will share laughter, families will dedicate time to each other and sparks will be rekindled for ONE day. 

I want to share a writing I wrote years ago about my fantasy Valentine's Day.  I am not sure what spurred me to write it, but I have it tucked away in one of my memory folders.  Promise not to laugh or poke fun!

My Fantasy Valentine's Day
He will appear at my door with a smiling face and open arms.
Roses in hand, he will say, "I extend my love to you, my beautiful Valentine!" 
His eyes glow in the candle light and our love is evident to all.
We share a love that will never die.
This night calms my mind, eases my heart and peace I find in the arms of my loved one for ONE night!

Okay, I know, cheesy; but, true.  Though this fantasy sounds like such fun, does God intend for it to last only ONE night of the year?

"Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." (1 John 4:11-12)

I strongly answer NO to the question.  God brings couples, families, friends and church families together to love one another.  We do not save up our love to only share ONE night of the year.  That idea is ludicrous.  How could marriages last if not daily nourished with passion and love held for one another?  How could friendships sustain if appreciated only once a year?  All families need daily attention as well.  Every day should be filled with love for one another.  God speaks clearly in His Word, numerous times about the importance to spread love throughout. 

I am here to say, our marriage and family tried to survive on ONE night a year.  We experienced sadness, disagreements and division throughout the rest of the year.  That ONE night could not keep peace or happiness in our home.  We failed to bring God at the center and follow His example.  We learned our lesson.  Every day, my husband fulfills my fantasy Valentine's Day.  God's love shines through each of us in our home and I thank Him always for opening our blind eyes.  Our bank account remains in good standing because the love shown to me requires no money.  Actions and kind words express the degree of love within our hearts.  Some days we fail to complete this task.  But, we strive every day to do/say at least one thing to express our love. 

Begin today; don't wait for Valentine's Day.  Greet your family, spouse or friend with a smile, hug and conversation about their day.  Engage in their lives.  Take time to show love more than just ONE night a year.

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for the opportunity to show love to others.  Keep my eyes open to what love looks like.  May my words and actions be pleasing to You.  Should I stumble, pick me back up and fix my feet to follow Your path.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment