Friday, February 17, 2012

Give Him the Wheel!

Have you ever witnessed a car wreck?  Sometimes, you see it coming.  The vehicle begins to swerve, slip on ice or veer off the road.  It may take a bit for the collision to occur, but you know the end result will be contact with another vehicle, the embankment or guardrail.  Anxiety and fear rush through you and you dial 911 quickly.  Emergency vehicles arrive and begin assessing the situation.  They rush to the driver and passengers to bring comfort and healing.

Have you ever driven past the scene of an accident?  You may only see remnants.  The vehicle appears crushed, on its top or a bit scratched.  Worry and sadness come over you as you process the situation.  The EMS, firefighters and policemen clean up the area so traffic may flow freely and the wreck can be forgotten.  The drivers and passengers begin a journey of healing, physically and emotionally.  For some, this may take a while; yet, others just move on and learn from the accident.  And still others may not learn a thing and push the accident far from their thoughts.

What happens in a wreck?  Okay, yes, a driver loses control of the vehicle and eventually comes in contact with a surface to stop it.  But, how is control lost?  News reporters state various reasons for accidents: alcohol, texting, looking in the backseat, road conditions, falling asleep, health conditions (heart attack, seizure, etc.), mechanical problems and more.  We hear these stories and may feel concerned for a while or sorry for those involved; but, we think this would never happen to us.  We continue driving as we always have and take no lessons from it. 

Well, accidents happen around the world daily, hourly and by the minute.  We very well could be in that situation, either the victim or the one at fault.  We must be careful, stay focused and keep our eyes open to dangerous conditions.  We must protect ourselves as best we can and avoid distractions that lead to destruction. 

Correlate this to life.  Have you ever witnessed a life approaching a wreck?  Has that life ever been your own? 

Well, I have experienced many crashes in my day and finally have a feel for when life begins to slip out from under me.  I see danger ahead.  I hear warnings and signs directing a detour.  Most roadways do not allow u-turns for vehicles; but thank God that He allows u-turns on the path for our soul.  He will gather you up and bring you to safety.  He will help you avoid hazardous ground.  He will keep you on the straight path.  One catch, you must give Him the wheel.

"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory." (Psalm 73:23-24)  
We cannot and do not have the stability, strength or smarts to remain safe.  If we hold the wheel and control every move, a crash is bound to occur.  Our bodies grow tired and weary.  Our vision fails to see ahead.  We lose control!

As I begin to swerve, reaching for other things/people for advice, looking behind and letting the past define me or approach danger in my path; God opens my eyes to see that I need Him.  I cannot do any of this on my own.  I will surely wreck, and have wrecked.  Thank God for saving me with each crash.  For years, I took the same path, hit the same walls and walked away from the same destructive scene learning nothing.  I shoved the incident deep in my soul and forgot.  No more of this insane living.  I want God to keep me from crashing and help me learn warning signs, to reach for Him and have full confidence in Him that all will work out for the good as I continue to love Him.

Learn from me and avoid the wreck.  Give Him the wheel!

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for saving me from numerous crashes.  I cannot guarantee I will not crash again, but I promise You I will learn this time and avoid that same situation again.  I need You always.  Be my driver.  I do not want to begin driving down any path without You holding the wheel.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment