Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Our Great Editor

I sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office only to hear a man speak about an upsetting situation.  How did I know it upset him?  He used VERY colorful language to describe the details.  His wife sat with her magazine in hand and gave a few "A-Huhs".  He ranted and raved while she seemed to let his words just slide right off her.  To me, that meant he always speaks in such a manner.  She grew used to this foul language and no longer paid any attention to the nasty words.

This man obviously needed to edit his language.  His story required major clean up in speech.  I always tell my children to throw the word out of their vocabulary and never pick it back up again.  Well, this man's arm would be exhausted after throwing all the words out.  After editing, his story would involve much shorter sentences.  With all his colorful language, the point to the story gets lost anyway.  I believe he could accomplish more and gain more attention when editing the sentences and spewing out the main points without the fillers of foul language.

This scenario displays a pretty obvious need for editing one's language.  But, did you ever think you need to edit your words daily.  You may not cuss like a sailor, but your tongue spews out some hurtful words, gossip or unnecessary comments.  If you begin a sentence with, "I know I should not say this" or "Did you see" or "In my opinion", you may want to think about the words to follow before speaking.  You will probably find the sentence needs to be thrown out of your vocabulary all together.  Words are lasting.  Words kill friendships, break hearts, destroy marriages and may lead others away from Christ.  Our words set examples to those around.  If we say, "I am a Christian", then spread rumors, speak negatively, grumble and complain constantly or offer ugly opinions (without even being asked for an opinion); we display hypocrisy.

"The plans of the righteous are just,
   but the advice of the wicked is deceitful.
The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood,
   but the speech of the upright rescues them." (Proverbs 12:5-6) 
 
"A perverse person stirs up conflict,
   and a gossip separates close friends." (Proverbs 16:28) 
 
As a woman, I love to talk.  I find myself saying many unnecessary words.  I will catch myself telling a story that could have went unsaid.  My opinions fly out way too often.  I will even slip from time to time in the midst of frustration and use a foul word.  I have those days when everything seems wrong and all I hear from my mouth is complaining and grumbling.  No more of this!
 
Let us work together for the glory of God.  Let our words be His Words.  We must strive every day to please our God in speech.  Others retain speech and it shoots right to the heart.  Love one another with words and actions.  Speak Truth to each other.  Look to God in every situation and then nothing will be available to complain or grumble about.  Throw the foul language out of your vocabulary.  
 
There is enough trial and tribulation each day; we need not stir up our own with unnecessary speech.  I will pray for you, my friend, to edit each sentence today.  Pray for me to edit my sentences today.  Then, we will continue each day to do so and line our speech up with His Truth.  Seek Him for advice and what words to use daily.  Throw out the gossip, foul words, rumors, negative comments and complaining.  Begin living as a display of God's love.  Ask Him to shine through you; actions and WORDS.
 
God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for loving me enough to forgive me for my misuse of words.  Continue to edit my words and replace with Truth.  I am here to be used by You to add in number those entering the Kingdom.  Help me spread Your goodness and love others as You love me.  I love You.
 
Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment