Sunday, April 15, 2012

Peace and Quiet?

Normal evening routine includes fighting over the hot water for baths/showers, debating on which pajamas to choose, questioning the reason behind a bedtime, battling for a spot on the bed for book time, whining because their book does not go first, deciding which child prays first in our circle and finally hitting the sheets.  You would think it would end there with two lovely children watching the back of their eyelids.  Only in a perfect world.  Both need numerous hugs and kisses.  My daughter climbs in and out of bed on most nights to avoid falling asleep.  My son avoids sleeping by holding his eyes open to watch the entire ballgame.  All the while, I am fretting about how the morning will be with two tired children.  I become frustrated due to the crazy hour I just experienced.  I JUST WANT SOME PEACE AND QUIET!

Well, I received that peace and quiet one evening.  The kids stayed at their Nana's house for a sleepover and my husband went out of town with his brother.  I pulled in the driveway, turned off the van and proceed to the door.  It went smoothly.  No children racing to be the first in the door or the one to unlock it.  It was just me.  I got to be first in for once!  When inside, dead silence what I heard.  It was just me.  I continued to put a few items away, finish up the laundry I had left in the dryer and slip into my comfy pajamas.  It went smoothly.  No one interrupted my thoughts and veer me off track to get them a drink or wash them in the bath or settle a dispute.  Then, I turned on the TV, to a show I enjoyed!  It was just me.  No husband to steal the remote to check the ballgame.  No loud background noise to take my focus off the show. 

I got my peace and quiet. . . 

. . .you know what though?  I didn't like one bit of it.  It felt all wrong.  I felt alone, scared, sad and did not know what to do with myself.  I decided to turn the TV off, say my prayers and hit the sack.  This way I did not think of the silence lurking in my home. 

I guess the saying stands true, "You never know what you got till it's gone!"  On normal evenings, this mother is exhausted and unappreciative of the loving individuals in the house.  My eyes focus on all the work it takes to complete the nightly tasks.  My attitude remains negative with each battle I face to achieve harmony.  Why can't things just run smoothly and our world be perfect from 6:45 until 7:30?  Why can't these children close their eyes at 7:30 and remain sleeping until 7:00AM? 

Because, these children despise sleeping.  They want their day to continue and enjoy every moment given.  They desire adventures and play time; so, remain defiant against closing the door on another day.  They yearn for one more hug, one more kiss and a parent's hand to pull the covers right up to their chin.  Their little hands wait anxiously to be held during prayer.  Their precious minds long to lift up words to our God.  They want to be first in everything to experience the joy of winning and feeling special.  Their little bodies desire comfort to sleep and they love the independence of picking out what to wear. 

My attitude and drill sergeant nature drains every ounce of joy from the evening.  It hit me the night I spent alone.  My heart ached for loudness, debates, whining, book time, twisting arms so my daughter could hold my hand and my son could hold my husband's while praying together, hugs and kisses.  My ears searched for the noise of two televisions blaring. I wanted my crazy, normal night!

Remember, next time you feel frustrated, stressed or overwhelmed with the demands of running a house and/or raising kids that all this was given as a gift straight from God.  He wants you to enjoy the blessings provided to you daily (yes, this even includes children AND husbands).  If your attitude reflects mine on most nights, turn it around by opening your eyes to the beauty within the evening.  My children and husband bring indescribable joy into my every moment.  The laughter, love and joy far outweigh the anxiety, stress and frustrations.  In the heat of the moment, it seems difficult to see beyond the arguments and craziness.  But, I am so thankful for my crazy evenings, arguments among children and my husband stealing the remote. 

Praise God for thinking so much of me to trust me with two beautiful children.  Praise God for placing a wonderful partner in my path to share my every moment or life.  Praise God for breathing life into me and making a path, plan and purpose for Sheree Craig.  Praise Him!

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for opening my eyes to the joys of parenting and marriage and helping me see my attitude needs to shift.  Help me avoid frustrated, anxious mindsets when wrapping up the evening with my family.  Take away my selfish thoughts.  Give me strength and energy to enjoy the moments I have with my family.  Provide the words and actions which are pleasing to you.  I am here for You and to fulfill my role as mother and wife the way You intend.  Thank You for my children and husband.  I am so blessed.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig     

No comments:

Post a Comment