Friday, April 13, 2012

Avoid the Slip

Each and every day I travel a small highway to my home.  Along the way, a small portion of the highway has a slight defect in the road surface.  The side drops off a bit and a rough edge exists.  It appears in the same spot each and every day.  It never moves or gets any better. 

You would think the typical driver would recall this defect and avoid it.  Well, not this driver.  For some unknown reason, I drive over it EVERY time.  Some days, I travel from town numerous times.  EVERY time, I manage to drive over it.  I feel the road pull me to the right a bit and imagine my tire painfully enduring the rough spots.  I think about the damage being done to the expensive tire.  Have I learned my lesson and stopped driving over the spot?  NO.  I continue to do the same routine and I am sure I will do so this morning as I come back from dropping my child off at school.  I will probably do it again when coming home for lunch and at the end of my work day. 

With each drive, my tire wears down.  The rubber and tread cannot take that much abuse over and over again.  It will give out one of these days.  I will then act shocked and become frustrated at the fact of paying for a new tire.  Whose fault is it that I will need to replace the tire?  It is not the business who put the tires on; not the makers of the tire; not even the city for leaving a highway in such conditions.  None of these are to blame.  I am the sole culprit of this damage and my decisions to continuously abuse my tire resulted in the need for a new one.  I have the option to avoid the rough road and continue on the smooth path. 

The same scenario exists in our lives.  Our feet continue on the smooth path, but daily Satan throws in that drop off, rough edged area for us to slip and damage our spirit.  You know, the drink after a long day, restricting at lunch time, over exercising after work, eating that carton of ice cream to cope with the day, berating our bodies in the mirror, smoking that cigarette, sleeping in on Sunday morning, leaving the Bible closed throughout the week, etc.  We know that Satan lurks right there and even the time of day his temptation appears.  Yet, EACH and EVERY day, we continue to slip and damage our spirit.  Some days, the slip occurs more than once.  As the world creates trials, Satan throws in rougher, steeper drop off points in our path.  The 'things' we slip into become greater, more intense with each trial.

"Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
   and be steadfast in all your ways.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
   keep your foot from evil." (Proverbs 4:26-27) 

We continue in this pattern though we know our spirit screams for help each time and our feet are pulled to the right or left.  We lose track of the straight, smooth path which we began.  Soon, we look back and realize the damage done.  What can be done?  Is it too late?  How much will this cost us?

You are in luck.  Repairs are free; it is never too late and all you need to do is accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.  Trust in Him and He will make your path straight again.  He will heal all wounds and damage and teach you the way to go.  Satan will still try and throw slips and rough spots in your path.  This world will still present trials.  BUT, now you have the One on your side that will take care of it all.  He already won the battle and His plans will take over as you give each day to Him.  Should you begin to slip, He will catch you and stand you upright again.  Lean on Him in all you do and say.  Look to the straight, smooth path and not to the right or left.  Replace Satan's lies with Truth to remain steady and strong. 

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for guiding my path.  Help me see the rough spots and avoid slipping into Satan's scheme.  He continues to throw triggers and temptations in my path.  Give me strength to not succumb to these and continue on the straight path.  I give each day, each hour to You.  May Your Will, not mine be done.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment