Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Great Escape

Okay, so vacation is supposed to be full of relaxing times, calm atmospheres and good rest.  I think I missed something or my children completely ignored the definition of vacation.  Maybe the Tennessee air was too much for them.  Maybe the water placed a negative attitude in my daughter and a sickness in my son.  Whatever it is, I would like to figure it out and nip it in the bud!

The day began normal, with the kids eating breakfast, waking up with smiles and playing obediently around the cabin while the adults planned the day.  The boys split from the girls, which at the time seemed like we got off easy.  Well, five minutes into our journey, my daughter wanted to return home.  Not home, as in temporary cabin in the woods; home as in Indiana five hours away.  She missed her Nana's dog, her little princess bed, waffles and syrup in the morning and the routines of our typical day in Indiana.  Throughout the morning, it continued.  My precious princess turned into my cranky child!  Her famous quotes of the day included:  "NO!"  And, "I want to go home!"  I thought we had separated from the guys, but all I could see was her father coming out in her!  :) 

By the time we began shopping, she was starving.  We found the nearest McDonald's and fed her growling belly.  Okay, so now I understood, a hungry woman equals an unhappy camper.  Well, that happiness lasted about as long as her food stayed on her tray.  The quotes continued.  Shopping came to an end and we sat in our vehicle, worn out.  She began to fall asleep as we neared our cabin.  Okay, so now I understood, when a woman is tired, one must keep their distance.  Well, the nap lasted about as long as one of my breaths.  Awake she was and at it again.  The process repeated throughout the evening.  When my head hit the pillow, I felt defeated, exhausted and done!

Just as my eyes began to dream, I hear a precious eight year old becoming sick.  I hear a thirty-one year old awakened from a dead sleep and flipping out!  I run in to see the bed linen soaked and a child upset.  Two parents begin grabbing towels, pulling off sheets, comforting a child, growing frustrated and fretting about clean, white linens now tarnished.  I began to agree with my daughter, "I want to go home!"

I never thought at 29 I could get homesick.  But at this moment in time, I became extremely homesick.  I think I could have walked the miles back to Indiana.  I laid my head back down and ran to my Father.  Oh, no better place to be in such a time as this!  I prayed, "Dear Lord help me!"  I expressed how exhausted this mother of two had become and two days still remain in our vacation.  I explained how I felt defeated and wanted to go home.  My patience had been spent, my loving attitude disappeared and the selfless nature of a mother could not be found.  It was all about me at this moment and I needed an escape. 

Well, my Father provided that escape.  He held me in His arms, comforted, loved and heard every cry spouted from my mouth.  His response was perfect, His Words healing and I fell fast asleep in assurance that tomorrow would be a new day!  His mercies begin anew each morning.  His mercies never tire out.  My Father took care of me. 

As a parent, our path continues without prediction.  Some days present hills, curves and chaotic steps.  Other days bring straight, perfect and calm steps.  We never know what will come our way; but, I have learned that anything can be endured with my Father guiding me.  He offers wisdom and comfort.  He remains calm in the roughest of storms.  He never leaves my side.  He cares so deeply for me and my family that He keeps His arms open wide and His ears tuned in for every cry I send up!  Every time I say, "Lord, help us all", or, "God give me strength," He immediately comes to my rescue. 

"Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,  who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,  to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." (Galatians 1:3-5)

The same offer stands for you.  In those moments, run to your Father for strength, wisdom and comfort.  He waits to be a part of your every moment.  No day will be perfect.  Trials, troubles, stress, sick kids and cranky attitudes will come.  Do not go at this life alone.  Take your Father's Hand and enjoy every hill, curve and chaotic minute.

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for your comfort in my difficult moments as a mother.  Show me how to be the parent You intend for me to be.  Give me strength and wisdom to avoid selfish attitudes, negative reactions and harsh words in the heat of 'those moments'.  Feed me Your Words at all times to then pass on to my children.  Show me how to love unconditionally and view my life through Your eyes.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment