Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Funk Cannot Stand Up to God's Word

Funk, Depression, Gloom, Melancholy. . .

Call it what you will, but we all have those moments.  They come and go, but always return.  Maybe they last for a day, week, month or year.  Outside circumstances overwhelm our thoughts and bring us to this place.  We try different methods of relaxing, strive for laughter and try to deaden the pain/sorrow.  The chosen methods may help, but only for a little while.

I find myself dreaming of a getaway often.  I will imagine a day with no worries, away from all responsibility and without stress.  I feel my body relaxing via massage.  I taste the pleasures of Chipotle on my tongue, followed by a Starbuck's visit for dessert.  I lose my thoughts in an afternoon of watching Food Network.  My head rests comfortably on a pillow in pursuit of an 8 hour nap.  Oh, what a day of pampering that would be for me!  Any funk I experienced would vanish for 24 hours.  But, then I return to reality and the world continues to throw all kinds of trials and troubles at me.  Some days I feel like a target and the enemy shoots perfectly. 

In comes our shield of faith. . .
"In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one." (Ephesians 6:16)

Satan loves to throw fiery darts of trials.  He loves to shoot arrows of trouble into every moment.  It may begin with running late, forgetting an appointment, turn to a spousal argument or disappointing a loved one.  It may include terrible news at the doctor's office, a phone call reporting a lost life, watching illness strike a child or losing a job.  With each dart/arrow, Satan can gain a foothold into our thoughts.  We must place our shield high and proudly hold it to let the enemy know of our protection.  God will nourish our soul, feed us Truth and guide us through any trial while comforting us through any trouble.

Pampering our bodies is great and much needed from time to time.  But, it is only temporary and the funk will return quickly.  Let us cling to a lasting peace and pamper our souls.  He will continually refresh our thoughts and keep us strengthened.  He will avoid funks.  His hands will relax our body and comfort us.  He will properly nourish our body to bring strength.  He will take all worry and replace with Truth to keep our thoughts healthy.  He will provide physical rest to ready us for the next day. 

Go ahead, fall into the arms of our God today.  Experience a day of pampering.  The option exists at any moment and best of all, it is FREE!  There is no need to travel anywhere; the choice lay right beside you.  Cling to your faith, trust in Him and lean on His Truth to pamper your soul.  Funk cannot stand up to God's Word.  His Word brings laughter, joy, relaxation and takes away pain/sorrow.

"I cling to you;
   your right hand upholds me." (Psalm 63:8)

"Show me your ways, LORD,
   teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
   for you are God my Savior,
   and my hope is in you all day long." (Psalm 25:4-5)

God, thank you for this day.  Thank You for pampering my soul daily and providing a shield of protection around me.  My trust is in You all day long.  Guide my every step and comfort me in sadness.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment