Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chip Off the Old Block

Parents often hear comments expressing how their child resembles them.  For example:
He is a chip off the old block.
She is a spitting image of you.
You cannot deny that one.
He gets that from his father.
She acts just like her mother.

I think you get the point.  Children conform to the patterns of their parents.  Whether inherited or learned, traits emerge as a child grows.  The parent plays a huge role in child development beyond their safety.  Daily influence impacts a child's decision making, attitude, character, confidence and future path.  Parents set the example in words AND actions.  Promises must be fulfilled or lack of trust may develop.  Kindness must be exemplified, logical thinking portrayed, support, comfort and love.  Parents have a tough job each day.

As a child, I hated hearing the above sayings.  My parents, at that time, were not cool.  They seemed to ruin all my fun, make me eat lots of green, yucky foods and fall off the fashion train from time to time.  I did not want to be compared to them.  As I grew, I realized how wonderful each parent was and I felt blessed to have received the best from both of them.  And now, as a parent, I love to hear these phrases about my children.  Pride comes over upon hearing that my children are similar to me. 

Where am I going with all this???  Well, as we all know, a woman gives birth to us with the help of a man (don't make me explain this any further).  So, of course, we inherit genes from each; hence, we look similar to our parents.  But, how do we begin to act like our parents, talk like our parents or even walk like our parents?  Each and every day, exposure to our parents influences every detail of our living and being.  The pressure is on for our parents to walk the straight path.

Did you realize we all have different parents with 'skin on'; BUT, only one true Father?  And guess what is even better?  He always walks the straight path, exemplifies perfection, and provides support, love and comfort.  He fulfills every promise made.  He offers help daily and never leaves your side.  Our parents here on Earth have disappointed us numerous times and will continue to do so.  They stumble themselves, setting bad examples or may display unloving actions toward you.  Our Father never disappoints, remains stable and loves unconditionally.  As we mature in faith, let us continue to look to our Father for influence by renewing our minds daily with His Truth.  He holds our future in His palm and knows exactly which way to turn with each step.  Rely on Him for guidance.

Though, we physically look like our parents here; let us spiritual resemble our Father in Heaven.  Study His Word daily.  Walk, talk and act just as He did.  Activate Him into your every moment by asking Him to come into your life.  He can and will stand up to any pressure this world may bring your way.  He will provide the strength to persevere through all trials.  He will not stumble and will hold you up, should you begin to fall.  Let Him in your life.

Through life, strive to hear others say, "You're a chip off the old Block," or "You are a spitting image of your Father."  Smile and walk confidently with your Father holding your hand.  Exemplify His character everywhere so there is no denying you are a child of God.

"So God created mankind in his own image,
   in the image of God he created them;
   male and female he created them." (Genesis 1:27)
  

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for Truth, example and love to guide my every day.  I want to follow You and rely on Your Word for each decision.  I will take You everywhere.  Continue to nourish my soul with Your Word and guide my path.  With You, my plan can be fulfilled.  Thank You for caring so much for me to give Your Son to die so I may live.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment