Monday, February 23, 2015

The Story Continues



In comes junior year like a lion.  Troubles pile on top of an already messy situation.  Mom and I moved four hours away to join dad and make it work.  Beginning a new school brought struggles and hardships.  The school was very small; yet full of new faces I needed to impress.  The one thing I had going for me was that multiple cousins attended the same school and could bring friends my way. 

The great relationship going back in Indiana broke due to distance.  A little piece of my heart remained in Indiana; therefore, I refused to find contentment in Kentucky.  That famous smile that disguised all pain came with me and remained throughout.  Each day I arrived at school, went through the motions and sought approval from all I met.  Now, I not only had my eating disorder to please, but also every other person encountered in life. 

I did make the basketball team (mainly due to such a small turnout for the team).  My eating disorder loved the increase in exercise and continued deprivation of foods.  Along the way, another vice entered the scene – smoking cigarettes.  This was a great additive to an already unhealthy situation (typed with complete sarcasm).  Smoking did help with avoiding food.  It pacified my desires to eat and provided a social group to join. 

Avoiding food at this point was pretty easy.  Not many kids ate lunch anyway (have you seen school lunches).  By the time I arrived home from school, with both parents working, I could grab a few crackers and be on my way.  Supper did not really occur because family meals went to the wayside with just one kid left in the house.  Things just did not seem ‘family like’ anymore. 

Toward the end of junior year, I rarely spent time at home.  On the weekends, I was out until wee hours of the morning if I even came home.  Friends pay no attention to the little amount eaten.  And I always ‘ate before I met up with my friends’.  I followed the crowd and kept trying to survive.

Sometimes you watch an individual continue to choose wrongly, destroy their life and they fail to see the damage.  You may not know how to help.  You may want to turn your head and avoid the painful situation all together.  You may love the person so much that you work hard to deny the destruction taking place.  So, you watch from afar, bury it and avoid it.  It becomes the pink elephant in the living room that no one wants to discuss.

I believe others saw the frail frame I struggled to carry around; yet, did not know how to approach that conversation.  I know for a fact people back home noticed.  I received comments, letters and words of concern numerous times.  Sadly, these only fed my eating disorder.  I loved the attention and hoped that one of these days, someone could come in and erase all the pain inside so I could eat again.  See, I had no idea how to manage my emotions, deal with pain or handle sorrow.  My eating disorder knew.  Others only saw sickness, not pain.  They assumed I just wanted to look like the girls in the magazines.  They assumed this was the reason for such extreme measures.  This was not the case at all. 

It was to feel good about something.  See, athletes gauge success on points scored in a game.  My eating disorder gauged success on calories avoided within a day.  Businesses pride on numbers increasing.  My eating disorder felt pride as the number on the scale decreased (which by this point, I checked that number countless times every day).  I was finally good at something and that something helped avoid feeling.  I hated to feel any emotion.  I had a way to numb as the storm raged around me.  All was well. . .or so my eating disorder thought.


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment