Sunday, February 22, 2015

How It All Began



I can recall the day my eating disorder tiptoed into my life.  A crushed, lowly spirit met a powerful, strong force which planted me in the middle of a tornado.  Beginning with the moment my eyes scanned the list only to see every other girl’s name dedicated to a position on the basketball team.  No matter how long I stared, Sheree did not appear.  Numb to the idea that I would not be a part of a team I placed all my worth in, I gathered my things and plopped in the seat of my sister’s car.  She worked diligently to console and divert attention from the matter at hand.  To numb from feeling worthless, rejected and a complete failure, I buried that one deep.  My eating disorder held tightly to that emotion.

Moving right along to softball season; I made the team.  But, more insult came when I sat the bench 98% of the time.  To avoid feeling worthless, rejected and a complete failure, I buried that one deep.  I smiled instead of cried.  My eating disorder held tightly to that emotion.

Searching for worth, meaning, acceptance and success; I turned to people.  Well, I did not have the looks, clothing, body frame or conversations to fit in or be cool.  I was not the one who could turn heads when walking past a group of guys (such an accomplishment when a young teen).  I was the tomboy hanging with the guys who talked freely about those pretty, stylish females roaming the halls.  Outwardly I just smiled, inwardly I felt worthless, rejected and a complete failure yet again.  My eating disorder held tightly to that emotion.

Moving forward; a move occurred for my parents and me.  The destination landed us four hours from home just when I had a great relationship going with a guy.  Refusing to be happy in the new place; mom and I moved back to finish sophomore year.  The relationship remained with the guy, yet I still felt incomplete.  I felt extremely guilty for distancing my parents (my dad had to stay for work).  Life consisted of lots of traveling for both parents and outwardly we all just smiled.  Inwardly we were all falling apart.  I took blame for all the turmoil because I could not take life as it played out.  Hurt, struggles, sadness and failure to receive approval was just too much for this teen.  No one understood the amount of pain sitting in the pit of my spirit.  Worthless, rejected and a complete failure; I heard a small voice describe a way to gain some control in this funnel cloud surrounding my life.

Yep; my eating disorder held all the ammunition to kill any part of spirit left.  And that it did.  I learned control through deprivation of food.  I learned comfort through repetition of daily activities.  I learned I was good at something.  Worth appeared as guys turned heads slightly in the beginning as my boyish figure became feminine.  The guy I dated helped me shop for fitted, stylish clothes.  Acceptance appeared each time I pleased my eating disorder through deprivation, exercise and numbing out to all difficulties in life.  Success appeared as I pitched a pair of pants to buy a smaller size or when entering a room I was the smallest of all females.  My eating disorder held on tightly and became a best friend.

So, in a nutshell, this is how it began.  We each have struggles, sufferings, sorrows and storms stirring in our lives.  Without turning on radar and walking around with crossed arms, we will never reach the hurting.  Hurting people typically do not search for help.  It is better to numb than to feel.  Numbing destroys our bodies.  Our bodies were created to feel emotion, work through it and learn from every moment.  We were created to help one another; not judge, criticize or turn our heads from dark situations. 

Let us join together in opening a hand to the hurting, taking time to listen and keep the radar on for seriousness of situations.  Catching an individual early on in hurt will keep the enemy’s grip loose.  The enemy will work diligently to destroy spirits and in my case it occurred through an eating disorder.  Let’s stop him in his tracks.


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.                              

No comments:

Post a Comment