Thursday, July 11, 2013

Working Progress

I am number 3 of 3 children. So, yes, I was, am and will always be the baby. The title itself screams spoiled. I lived up to the title quite well. My brother took care of me often while mom and dad worked. I was the coolest thing since sliced bread to him (or so it felt). His friends treated me the same way and I loved the attention and care. They brought joy, love and laughter to my life. My sister took me in and taught me all I needed (but so did not want to partake in) to know about being a woman. You know, all the girly things that I now benefit and care about. Without her guidance, I would have been lost.

Another aspect of being spoiled came from my parents. Being number 3 meant getting away with more stuff, getting my way just to quiet the whining and receiving lots of attention. Living the life of a baby kept me on cloud nine! At the moment, the future repercussions never entered my mind. Until one day recently. . .

I thought back to different scenarios in life and each time I received stuff without working, others fixed my mess-ups and I never wanted for anything in life. Sounds great, right? Not necessarily. I learned to rely on others to do, fix and give to me. I learned to be served rather than serve. I learned to give up when things seem difficult and wait for someone else to do it or make it easier for me. I learned to get rather than give. Each person did these things out of love for me. None wanted to see me struggle or suffer through any walk of life.

I am fairly confident I am not alone in this one. So, what can we do about it? Well, I see the learned behavior as a barrier blocking my journey towards maturity in Christ. I seem stuck in baby mode due to fleshly desires, wrong thinking and destructive actions. For example, each time something breaks around the house, a device/electronic goes kaput or a kink appears in MY plan; I expect my husband to fix it. . .like yesterday. In comes the demanding words and nags which weigh heavily on my poor husbands shoulders. It is almost as though he has another child (a spoiled child). Another example occurs when situations get hard and risk of failure appears. The moment things get tough, I retreat. I seek someone to do it for me or something to take away all the anxiety of facing this alone and being responsible for the outcome. See how this holds me back from maturity in Christ. . .

As we walk in reliance on this world for doing, fixing and giving to us; we fail to fulfill God’s plan on our lives. Seeking service rather than serving completely takes away our purpose as His Children. Waiting for someone to complete a task clearly labeled for us hinders progress in our journey. Relying on the world to fix our problems or struggles always turns out temporary.

So, join me in changing. Let us wash away old ways and walk boldly in His ways. Seek to serve others and God will care for any need which appears on your path. Complete each task given with God in the center. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish (Philippians 4:13). Rely fully on His Truth to “fix” any problems or struggles arising throughout the day. Guess what? You are His child and He spoils each and every one of His children. You are the coolest thing since sliced bread to Him. . .He will teach you anything you need to know about being who He created you to be. . .all while giving you His complete attention. He will spoil you, my friend, and pour blessings over your life as you believe in Him, keep a relationship with Him and strive each day to follow the example set forth by His Son! God spoils with love, joy, peace and comfort. But, He will not always give you what YOU want or let you get away with wrongdoings. He disciplines because He loves and He gives us what is best for us (not always what we think or want). He knows the outcome, trust Him!

“I am not where I need to be, but thank God I am not where I used to be. . .I am okay and I am on my way!”
~Joyce Meyer

I am a working progress. . .
Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment