Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Eye of True Our Beholder

 Beauty, defined by Merriam-Webster, means a quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit.  One question. . .who determines the quality or qualities which create pleasure to the senses or exalt the mind or spirit?  Who holds this power?  Some might say beauty exists in the eye of the beholder.  So, we keep in check which beholder we will face and continually change to meet the qualities that bring pleasure to their eye.  What one might call beautiful, the other might deem ugly.  Striving to be beautiful IN this world leaves a person confused, frustrated, depressed and angry.  Beauty IN this world steals time which could be used for God. . .

I love getting dressed up, curling my hair, wearing jewelry and dabbing on some makeup.  The process takes about one hour.  It feels great to put on outward adornment and anticipate a reaction from my husband.  Every woman strives for that reaction from time to time.  But, let’s put this scenario into reality.  I cannot count the times I completed the described process only to step outside and the wind pickup to about 50 mph, rain to begin falling, humidity raise to hideous amounts or clumsy me gets something on my outfit.  Beauty is fleeting. . .but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

It lasts but a moment and then is gone.  Or is it?  Just because the wind flattens my hair, humidity clumps my makeup, rain creates a wet dog look or a stain appears on my outfit; the eye of the beholder still sees beauty.  Regardless of the circumstances affecting my outward appearance, my husband still loves to look my way.  Sometimes I question if his Lasix surgery really worked?  But then I realize his vision is perfect, looking at the heart for beauty NOT outward appearance.  When we first met, outward appearance was not what caught his eye.  We grew to know one another through long, late night conversations and taking part in activities we both enjoyed.  Our love grew from the inside out.  Therefore, I feel confident that no matter how wrinkly my skin gets, gray my hair grows or the distance I am from the fashion train. . .my beholder will continue to see beauty.

The problem occurs when I place too much emphasis on outward appearance and begin judging myself based upon society’s eye.  Society can be cruel.  Allowing them to become my beholder slowly digs a pit with which I fall deep into.  Swimsuit season seems the hardest.  You shop and shop to find a suit to cover important areas (which is difficult to find in stores nowadays) and also stay in fashion and be comfortable.  Once I hit the pool scene, comparisons begin.  They increase when my husband tags along with me.  I make myself the beholder and see ugly.  My eyes veer away from the Truth I know in my heart and shift towards the lies whispered in my ear.  My husband tries to convince me that outwardly he still sees beauty. . .but lies speak louder.  Choosing him as my true beholder does not always make me feel beautiful. 

Solution: remember the true Beholder and see through His eyes.  No matter the scene, company or clothing; He looks at the heart.  He created you wonderfully and beautifully.  Did you catch that?  Read all about it in Psalm 139. . .He created you beautifully.  Your Beholder will never speak the degrading four letter word (u-g-l-y) about you.  NO. . .He loves every ounce of you.  Nothing you do physically can make Him love you any more or any less!  He loves you (PERIOD)! 

Challenge: take a look around you.  Look at the beauty in all of His creation – the sky, animals, children, etc.  All of these remain in natural form; no operation, no makeup, no curling/straightening, no jewelry. . .Beautiful just as He created it/them to be.  Same goes for you and me.  Let’s go one day without makeup, jewelry or styling our hair just so. . .wear comfortable clothes and shoes.  Let’s go into this world in natural form, just as He created.  Guess what?   Our beauty remains the same regardless of outward appearance because our true Beholder says so!  Carry His Truth on your hearts, shine His light to all you meet and walk confidently in the body He blessed you with.  Every part of your body was created as such for a reason and purpose.  He uses your body as a vessel each day - allow the Holy Spirit to work within.  Beauty exists in the eye of our Creator!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig         

Nature did not need an operation to be beautiful, it just was.  ~Scott Westerfeld





God, thank You for the body given to me.  Help me to see through Your eyes each time I look in the mirror.  Speak Truth louder than the enemy speaks lies.  I pray for others to find Truth within the Bible to place in their hearts each day as they face society.  Help others cling tightly to You as their true Beholder.  I know You created me beautifully and wonderfully. . .it says so in Your Word.  Thanks for loving me regardless of my outward appearance.  Help me to develop beauty in my heart, where it truly shines.  Clean any offensive way that lay inside my heart and make it pure.  Lead me, help me choose words which are pleasing to You and deny the lies the enemy speaks to me.  Guide my feet so they may avoid any pit the enemy creates.  Let’s go together, just how You created me, and spread Truth to all we meet today.  I love You!  

No comments:

Post a Comment