Sunday, July 7, 2013

God's Army

For several weeks, my husband and I worked diligently on plans for church camp. Three day consumed with worship songs, games, food, fun, campfires, lessons and crafts all with numerous 7-9 year olds. The theme chosen this year was boot camp. We covered some of my favorite Scriptures. . .placing on the full armor of God. Each day, God asks that we protect ourselves with spiritual armor; the belt of Truth, breastplate of righteousness, boots of peace, helmet of salvation, sword of the spirit (His Word) and the shield of faith. The day came for us to begin this boot camp and help prepare all enlisted Privates for all elements of service to God: physical, mental and emotional. We hoped to provide the basic tools necessary to perform the roles that will be asked of them this side of Heaven. Each of the Privates must tailor the curriculum to the specialized nature of their role in life.

To face each day’s battle, Christians must prepare themselves physically and mentally. Daily walk with God, lift up prayers, stretch in faith and fill your mind with Truth are a must. Arrive in His timing to events and stick to His schedule so to better prepare for each battle. Finally, Privates should delegate tasks to those which God intended to complete them. Trying to accomplish tasks not intended for us in order to serve more or keep involved only deprives others opportunity to join His team and offer their service. Plus, if our plate is too full, we cannot accomplish His plan for our lives with success.

As the Privates enlisted, carried in basic personal items, prepared their bunks, said their good-byes to family members and oriented themselves with the grounds I grew in excitement. See, I knew what the next few days would bring. . .growth, maturity, love, joy, peace and memories to last a lifetime. No child or adult would leave the same as arrived.

I don’t believe words exist to explain the experience I had in those three days; but, of course, I am going to try.
I learned:
-Plan A may not work. . .give it up, let God carry out His plan (it always turns out much better that way)
-Instructions allow life to run smoothly.
-No storm will keep God from working in our lives.
-Don’t worry what to say, for at the time you will be given what to say.
-God uses a willing servant in mighty ways.

Quick explanation to some of these (right, like anything I ever write is quick and to the point). . .Due to weather, games did not always turn out as I envisioned. I had to push aside control and let God take over. Plan A moved to plan B and even at times plan C. But always, God worked it out for us. One game period, the breeze picked up, dark gray skies moved in and a few sprinkles fell, but nothing more until the game ended. I love when to see God’s presence so clearly.

The deans, cabin moms/dads and Jr. staff used various instructions throughout camp to lead the little ones from place to place and accomplish goals at each station. Without instruction, chaos occurs. God provides instruction all in one Book for us as we go from place to place and accomplish goals each day. He provided the greatest example to follow, His only Son. Just as I had to explain and even demonstrate the games with each new group, God does so through His Son. His demonstrations enable us to seek how to react and move through various life situations. Without His instruction Manual, chaos would occur in our lives.

Each day, our deans kept close watch on radar. Storm clouds hovered over our camp, cool winds blew and sprinkles dropped throughout the days. . .BUT, not a one storm hit to the point to stop our worship, learning or time spent with God. One time downpour occurred (we were almost done for the day) and you know what happened? We were led in joyous songs about rain. Satan had no power at camp to bring anyone or anything down. Same goes as we activate God in the storms of life. . .God will work mightily and Satan will have no power.

For each game, I created this page long devotion relating the game with the lessons being taught at other stations that day. I was pumped about sharing these with the kids and adults. Then reality hit. Games lasted too long, kids did not care to sit and listen very long and it just did not go as I planned it. After the first devotion, I realized it was not working. I put them aside and allowed God to work. He knew what they needed to hear and He provided the perfect words. He does the same each day for you and me. Trust Him!

A willing servant shines like the brightest star. I watched from afar and prayed diligently for my husband and our friend as they co-led the week. Both came in with willing hearts to lead this group of kids. And WOW, God worked mightily to create a week of camp I will never forget. I stood in awe of the ways God used these two. . .through worship, devotion time, prayer and campfire. I felt honored to serve alongside them.

God, thank you for this week and all the lessons learned. Many more exist and I left camp more mature than I arrived. I am excited to be in Your army and I proudly place each piece of armor on each day!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment