Saturday, July 27, 2013

Obey the Referee

It proves to be the hardest word to say.  Our mouths just weren’t formed to speak such a word.  Our tongues fight back the motion needed to pronounce each syllable correctly.  Our minds cannot fathom using such a word in a sentence.  The word brings much emotion, giving more reason to avoid it completely.    

It appeared in our lives not too long ago. . .
The kids and I experienced a crazy kind of day.  One minute they got along fantastically and helped complete a task perfectly.  The next minute I wore stripes and raised a whistle to be referee.  The arguments were unnecessary and a complete waste of energy and breath.  Yet, they continued back and forth.  Just when the match ended, a bell rang for the next to begin.

Each child must be first, the best, strongest, smartest, most popular amongst parents and win every game played.  The losing party forms excuses.  The other always cheated, rules weren’t explained, a parent always treats them unfairly, etc.  I finally separate the two, which then causes an argument concerning one child sitting where the other ‘called’ first.  I cannot win as referee and no one cares to listen to my words. . .the thoughts of ‘I must win’ consume their little minds and somehow close off the ears.

Anyways. . .to my point.  This referee grew exhausted with the wrestling match and thought it came to an end by the time my husband arrived home.  So, I hung up my stripes, put away the whistle and put on the apron, grabbing my bowls and utensils.  It was ‘make your own pizza’ night.  My son chose the menu so it was only fair to allow him to make his first, right?  Oh, not in my daughter’s eyes.  I called my son in the kitchen and my daughter trailed quickly behind presenting an argument of why she should go first.  She lost and resorted to
watching from afar.  Well, the tortillas were not quite ready to be topped.  I placed all ingredients out, ready for use; including the bowl of pizza sauce I just finished mixing.  I went to get something from the other room, leaving my daughter claiming first dibs next time we make pizzas. . .then it happened!  The event which created a ripple effect amongst the whole Craig family occurred.  Amongst their arguments ‘SOMEONE’ knocked the bowl of sauce all over the kitchen floor and each other.  It looked as though a bomb of red sauce exploded (side note: just spent the day before cleaning the whole house. . .just sayin’).  Being in my apron, not my stripes, I held my breath and ventured to get my husband.  Both kids went straight to the shower and threats of early bed time flew out of our mouths.  I began to wipe it up good enough to finish supper and the kids completed their showers.  I heard a sincere little voice say it. . .his tongue rolled perfectly to pronounce it, “Sorry mom.”  There it was, all it took to completely erase the whole situation.  My daughter followed with the same words.  I thought it was over. . .but, then the ripple effect began.  I became short with my husband concerning all the mess I still had to clean up and kept barricading them from where a rag needed to clean.  Voices rose in decibel, ending with me running out of the room to avoid saying anymore.

In came the Referee.  He quickly informed me of all my faulty moves and sent me to my corner to sit for a while.  I cried out to Him for guidance on what to upon entering the ring again.  He asked me to do something unimaginable. . .something foreign to me.  He asked for humility and use of that word.  My kids just presented the example and I must follow.  So, I began playing out how this would go before approaching my husband.  I could say sorry and then argue my case a little bit, right?  Well, God said no, just say sorry.  But, I. . .no just say sorry.  Well, he. . .no just say sorry.  Next time, he better. . .no just say sorry.  Despite my strongest efforts to present my side, God asked me to simply say sorry and let Him take care of the rest.  He will fairly call the match and end it with a tie.  Trust Him.

I did.  And it happened.  The whole situation wiped clean as if it never occurred.  Why must we win, be first or the best in arguments.  God asks us to simply give it to Him, follow His ways, and shine His light to others.  We cannot do any of that when ‘I must win’ consumes our minds.  Running from Him creates a storm, escalating the effects of a situation that means nothing in the long run.  We must run to Him, remove ourselves from the situation and sit quietly with Him.  He will clearly tell us what to do and which way to go.  Once we say yes, pushing aside our stubborn thoughts. . .we see His mighty work of mending and healing.  He shines brightly, setting the example for all to learn for the next time such an event occurs. 

Seek Him, follow Him, obey Him and love Him. . .He will use you in mighty ways each time you humble yourself and avoid fleshly stubborn ways.  Trust Him.  He knows the big picture. 

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig     

No comments:

Post a Comment