Thursday, July 25, 2013

His Hand Waits

Crazy thing happened as I turned off the annoying bell that consistently ruins my perfect sleep.  I rolled over only to find empty pillows.  I sat up quickly to scan the bed only to find empty space.  Must be ‘take your kids to work day’ and my husband failed to mention that detail. . .NOPE.  It happened.  A night completed without a sleepover occurring in our room.  Now I understand why I feel so rested this morning.  No kick in the back, arms flailing around my neck or talking heard throughout my night.

A range of emotions surged through as my morning routine changed a bit (OCD challenged at 5:00 AM before coffee = difficult beginning).  I began making my bed instead of the kid’s and tip-toed when laying out their clothes.  I felt proud of my children and praised God for this big step both kids made.  Okay, so maybe they were just exhausted and slept solid throughout the night, but hey, as a parent you take what you can get.  Both kids display one step closer toward maturity.  I look at them sleeping and see how fast time lapsed.  I felt sad to know the dependency level decreases each day.  I felt nervous for what’s to come.  I felt excited as I recall the fun times lived thus far and the lessons taught to all of us.  God’s Hand never left our lives from the start and will remain each and every day.  All this before coffee!  Wow, I need a nap already. . .the intensity of this morning is too much!  J

What to do with all the emotions this early?  Write about it.  Come along for the ride if you would like. . .Have you ever experienced the moment when an event, word spoken or person seen triggers a memory?  I often experience such a time.  My mind puts me right back in the moment. . .to the point I even feel the same emotion I did that very moment in time.  Well, seeing my children grow and now both venturing out from under my shelter floods my mind with my past.  I remember the helpless moments following the crowd just to ‘fit in’, the decisions creating lasting effects, the nights returning home filled with regrets, the broken hearts, the hearts I broke, etc.  How can I prevent all this in my children’s lives?  Sad truth is that I cannot.  The world will throw various situations in front of each child.  I cannot be there to guide, help, decide for them or erase any regrets.  I cannot mend a broken heart.  I’m of no use now to my kids, right?  They feed themselves, clothe themselves, soothe themselves to sleep, walk, take care of their own hygiene and talk for themselves.  Is my job done as a mom?

Oh, most certainly, it is NOT!  My role did not decrease in responsibilities. . .it increased.  I now have the privilege of pouring my heart out to God for protection over my child’s day.  He will respond.  I mature daily as I clean up my act so to set an example I wish for my children to follow.  God will continue to change me so He is pleased with my leadership and teaching.  I now provide freedom to my children, increasing independence all while continuing to point them toward God.  He will have all the answers.  Daily, we fill our children with Scripture, taking every opportunity seen to teach and guide them to His Truth.  Nightly, we read devotions with our children and pray the lessons impress deep in their hearts. 

Ugliness fills my past.  Some of the same ugliness may creep into my children’s lives.  But, I know that forgiveness exists, beauty arises from ashes, ministry comes through trials and our sins wash away clean when we claim Jesus as our Lord and Savior.  I laid it all at the cross and now ask to be used in any way He desires so others may realize His Hand remains open at all times.  All we (and our children) need to do at any moment is grab His Hand and hold tightly.  He will bring us out of any pit this world tries to dig.  He takes the pieces of a broken heart and mends it stronger than before.  He will guide our steps all while shining His light through us.  He will send His angels to watch over us, discerning right from wrong.  He will wash away any sin as we repent and ask for forgiveness.  I never knew this. . .now I do.  I pray each and every one of you come to know this Truth as well.  No matter the age. . .His Truth stands and His Hand remains open.  Will you grab His Hand today?

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig           

No comments:

Post a Comment