Saturday, July 20, 2013

Balance of Emotions

In all the hustle and bustle of back to school planning, anxiety and excitement float around the Craig household.  The kids and I ping pong between the emotions.  The thoughts of accomplishment, friends, routine and special events fuel the excitement.  Then thoughts roll in concerning new teachers, harder subjects, different routines, separation from home and early to bed – early to rise!  These fuel the anxiety.  I can honestly tell my children that I know exactly how they feel. My school begins just a couple weeks after their first day and I feel like a ball in an intense game of ping pong.  One second I am excited to be challenged another year, learn more about a subject of interest, see my friends again (really my second family), get into a routine of schedules and enjoy the memories along the way.  Then in a snap of a finger I recall all the anxiety from last year, the pressures of succeeding and I dwell on the unknown.  I feel for my children all while going through the same emotions.  What to do?

Well. . .a balance of emotions is needed.  Where do we find such a balance?

 Joshua 1:9 “…Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
Turn to God.  He stands right beside you through every step, every moment and every thought.  Stand firm, be confident in His Word.  If God is with you, who can be against you?

 Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Worry gets me nowhere.  I have seen this in the past; yet, worry creeps back in often.  I cling to His Word which lets me know I am His creation.  He holds great plans and purpose for our life.  He walked before us, paving the way for this school year.  He protected each day and whatever may come our way, we will get through with Him.  When the year ends, we shall be stronger and closer to our God.

 Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Our current career is school.  The kids and I must report daily, finish required work, follow rules and meet deadlines.  But, a much greater task waits for us upon the first step into the hallways. . .God asks us to go and make disciples of all we meet.  We don’t attend school so much as to be taught than to teach.  Teach others about Him.  The selection of our classmates and teachers is not completely random. . .we have lives to touch.  We have fellow Christians to build up, encourage, love and comfort along the way.  Our days mean much to the Kingdom of God.

 Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Says it all!  Why would we try anything without Him?

 1 Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Wow, He cares so much for us and holds His arms open wide for us to run in such a time as this.  He will listen and then carry all the anxiety for us.  Peace will enter our hearts, courage will lead our thoughts and all will work out just fine.  We must come to Him and lay it at the cross.

 Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
When the paper returns covered in red, the test complete or the assignment emailed. . .the grade does not determine our worth.  Our worth lay within our Creator.  We work for Him, not man.  What a fabulous feeling and freedom because man continues to point out our flaws, while God confirms our worth and meaning here.  Work for Him, follow His Ways and you will receive straight A’s.  Strive for God’s list, not the dean’s or honor’s.  Amazing how all falls perfectly in place as we keep our eyes on Him.

AND OF COURSE. . .

 Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

I feel much better now.  God grabbed the ping pong ball and told the enemy – GAME OVER.  He already won the game for us.  We can rest assured; He has our back and will guide us through this upcoming season.  Should any storms come, He will provide the protective cover all while helping us grow through the situation.  No more running, coping with worldly “things” or laying down in defeat. . .we will run this race with perseverance, keeping our eyes on God.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment