Thursday, May 31, 2012

On Marriage

As I shared, God is teaching some powerful lessons to me currently.  The most powerful one appears in my marriage.  When the words "I do" came from my lips, I did not realize the years of growing and learning to follow.  Two become one, but not overnight!  It takes communication, constant attention and selfless acts of love. 

I returned from our honeymoon and since have gained the power to read my husband's mind.  I know his every motive.  I visualize his reaction before even telling him about something.  I hear his responses before he even speaks.  OR SO I THINK!  Well, I am learning that Satan loves to build up a situation in our minds.  He loves to put lies into our minds about our spouse.  Satan loves to destroy marriages.  So, when opportunity arises, he will make every effort to do so.  I approach a situation and immediately begin thinking for my husband.  A decision comes our way and I know just how he will respond.  WRONG!  But, by the time he comes home or I see him, I am already worked up with how I think the outcome will look.  This is not fair to my husband.  He did nothing wrong.  It is all in my mind and Satan continues to feed it.  In comes the wedge he is so good at creating.  Due to all the wrongful thinking, the silent treatment appears and anger arises for what I think my husband is imagining.  No truth is in any of it. 

Once lines of communication open, the lies escape.  I understand my husband's point of view, why he makes decisions and the pressures he experiences.  Without seeing from his side, I fall into the 'what about me?' rut.  The rut leads to destruction.  Avoid the rut.  Seek to understand your spouse by talking.  Do not assume you know what the other is thinking.  Do not play out the situation in your mind before it even occurs.  Give each decision, situation and moment to God.  He will take care of it and allow for the time to be a growth and bonding experience.  Stick with Him and your marriage will not grow apart. 

Constant attention must exist because trials and troubles come every day.  Our eyes must remain open and keep Satan out.  He will slip his dirty little foot in when we least expect it.  Never place your marriage on the back burner.  Upon waking up, think about how to make your spouse's day better.  When going to bed, kiss your spouse good night and thank them for being a part of your life.  Do not give Satan a foothold by distancing yourself from your spouse.  Keep close, kiss often, hug daily, engage in one another's lives and make marriage a top priority.  And that forgiveness of 70x7 thing goes for marriage as well.  Yep, I said it.  Forgive with your heart and forget the wrongdoings.  Do not keep a record and build resentment.  Keep the slate clean. 

“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. (Ephesians 4:26-27)

In order to become one with your spouse, selfish thoughts need to vanish and selfless love comes in.  Life is no longer about self, but now all about marriage.  Place God at the center and follow His commands on the role you are to take within the marriage.  It is so tough because our flesh desires and seeks pleasure.  Our flesh is selfish and does not care about other's feelings.  Marriage comes from the heart and soul.  Reach for strength from God to make decisions and speak words from your heart and soul.  Edit before speaking.  Think before acting.  Allow God to control each moment.  See your spouse through God's eyes and care for them as God does.  Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. 

None of this is easy.  Remember, with God all things are possible.  Don't let Satan play a role in your marriage.  He tries to come into mine and pushes the truth about my husband to the side.  I will not let him.  Get behind me Satan.  God help me to always remember how wonderful a man You blessed me with.  He always loves, protects, shows kindness, forgives, trusts and turns to You for guidance.  Thank You for my husband and the perseverance we each display in our marriage.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment