Wednesday, June 6, 2012

On Parenting

And so my lessons continue in parenting.  Wait a minute; aren't I supposed to be the one teaching, not learning?  Well, I must have it wrong because each day I learn from my children.  I see my little blessings as angels whom God speaks through.  God uses them as vessels to teach me patience, perseverance, love and laughter.  As a mother, my heart softens and selfish ways leave my thoughts.

When being called to become a mother, I had no clue as to what it all meant.  I envisioned lots of playing, changing a few diapers, laughing hysterically at television shows, cooking wholesome meals, sitting at the dinner table every night and tucking them quietly into bed with a kiss and hug.  Yes, all this occurs, BUT many pressures, stress, discipline and decisions come along too.

How can one handle the latter?  Only through God can one find strength to take on the role of a parent.  God will guide every move and help with decisions, actions and words.  He trusts us with our children and believes in us to fulfill the role He intends for parents.  He never dishes out more than one can handle.  Trust Him to bring you through any situation arising in your house.

Whether it be illness, attitude, joy, sorrow, pain, heartache, etc.; God builds parents up to become a vessel for Him and help our children.  We must stand strong in our faith and set by example in every situation.  Our actions and words must show our children Who to seek for help.  He will carry us through illnesses, change attitudes to become pleasing to Him, share in joys, catch tears and bring glory from pain and heartaches.  Turn to Him every day and our children will follow.  They will feel the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling inside as God carries them through difficulties and teaches them the way to go.

As my children age, the difficulties and hardships change.  Before; a bottle would fix the crying, a changed diaper brought comfort and a little rocking eased my baby's mind.  At the time, I thought those years were difficult and exhausting; now, I see they were the easiest.  My children now try and discover who they are, what interests them and begin to develop skills for survival.  Now finding ways to heal, comfort and guide seems difficult and requires patience.  I must be patient as my child begins development of character and learns right from wrong.  I cannot fix everything for my child and must let them learn some things through experience.  I held their hand as a baby and helped them walk; directing their path to avoid danger; but, now must let them walk on their own.  Guess what?  God can hold their hand and help them along their path.  So, I lift them in prayer and ask God to be with them always, guiding their every step.  He promises to watch over our children. 

My children teach me perseverance.  Some days, I feel like a failure and see no way out of the current season of attitude, heartaches, trials and constant discipline.  I become exhausted and often doubt my role as a mother.  I reach up and ask God for help.  He answers with one word - perseverance.  Persevere through the tough seasons, stand strong in faith and know that this too shall pass.  The things they experience, the required discipline and the attitudes all develop their character.  It is a season they must go through.

A deeper love develops when parenting is concerned.  It is an unconditional love.  One that does not dwell on wrongdoings, try to control the other or give up easily.  Our children will do things we do not like, say hateful words and veer in directions we did not approve.  Let them be who God created them to be and love them through it all.  They are offspring of us, but do not have to act like us, pursue the same career as us or share the same passions as us.  Encourage them to listen for God's guidance and become the person He planned.

Laughter remains constant in parenting.  At some point throughout each day, I laugh.  It may stem from something they do or say.  It may just come because they are laughing.  My children bring joys to my life which far outweighs any difficulty we may encounter.  They know how to have fun and enjoy the simplicity in life.  Become childlike and enjoy the blessings God provides each day.  Look on the bright side of life just as our children do. 

I thank God for my two little rays of sunshine.  I am blessed to be called a mother and I pray that I can fulfill that role.  I need perseverance, patience, love and laughter.  I know that all things are possible as I reach to Him for strength.  I can face the trials of parenting only with His hand guiding me.  Thank You God for my children.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment