Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Changed Perspective


As you read this, it has occurred numerous times already.  It happens the moment you wake up.  It happens countless times before leaving the house.  It determines moods, facial expressions, itineraries and even worth.  One may think it stops after leaving the house; nope, it continues while driving, walking down the street and at your work station as well. 

We spend too many minutes of our day allowing such action to take place.  The results are used against us every time.  Yet we continue to arrive for such brutal punishment over and over and over again.  We pass such action down to the next generation.  Their reactions often mimic our example.

What in the world am I talking about?  And why do we not get rid of such an event which does so much harm daily?  Take a moment, walk into the nearest bathroom, stand at the sink and look straight ahead. . .go on, do it!

What happened?  How long did you take?  Do you feel different? 

The mirror: we allow it to hold power over our day.  Next time you glance at it, notice your facial expression.  Take a moment to focus on the opinions thrown at you.  Pay attention to the time taken away from the day due to fixing a perceived flaw or changing a piece of clothing.  Reflect on any difference in esteem compared to before looking into the mirror. 

My daughter and I have been writing posty notes to one another and placing them on each other’s bathroom mirror.  One in particular went straight to my heart.  She wrote: “Your smile makes me feel loved.  When you are happy, I am happy.”  A blow to the gut, I realized I rarely smile.  I spend most of my days spouting off commands, disciplining (in love), berating myself for failure and most importantly looking at a reflection finding flaws to fix each time.  Do I smile when I look in the mirror and give praise to my Creator?  Do I walk confidently, standing firm on His Truth that I am wonderfully and beautifully made?  Do I use the mirror for just the purpose of assuring no food on my face, getting ready in the morning and brushing crazy hair down?  Unfortunately, I answer no to each of these questions on too many accounts. 

I have caught myself over the past week going as far as to check reflection via black screen on cellphone, walking past a darkened window or while driving using the rear view mirror.  Really?  Is such action necessary?  NO!

Doing these things only gives leverage for the enemy to creep in and feed me lies.  Lies work to diminish worth, take away goodness of the day, demolish positive outlooks and tarnish radiance.  Thankfully, our God provides Truth to beat the enemy into the ground. 

Let us look less at our reflection and more to His Word to determine moods, facial expressions, itineraries and worth.  Let us honor Him with the bodies given and walk confidently for Him.  He made us beautiful and wonderful.  He made us with purpose.  Let us change our perspective.

 

Okay, now take another moment, walk into the nearest bathroom, stand at the sink and look straight ahead. . .go on, do it!  Only this time, look intently at the mirror and smile.  Speak Truth to you. . .

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”  (Psalm 139:14)

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. . . God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.  (Genesis 1:27; 31)

How did that feel?  I bet you smiled the whole time. . .what a beautiful reflection you have! 

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

‘But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”  (1 Samuel 16:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment