Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Invitation Sent



“It’s MY party and I will cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want. . .YOU would cry to if it happened to you!”

You’re invited:
What – MY pity party
When – EVERY day

Would you come, oh please, oh please, would you come?  I need some attention, sympathy and advice.  Come ready to provide an “aww” and “oh, I am so sorry” and even a couple “I could not imagine going through such an event.”  Be my guest at this event.  You will leave depressed, poor attitude and with a negative outlook on life.  My actions, words and emotions display the worst example of a reaction to such a minor situation. 

Have you ever received or disbursed such an invitation?  How was the response?  Any RSVP?  Any last minute arrivals? 

My guess is few responded; no fight existed for a spot to attend and no need to add more seating due to reaching capacity.  Often, we wait in silence for others to attend such a party.  I mean, shouldn’t those caring individuals realize life’s daggers knocked YOU down?  Can’t others see the steam released out the ears due to a situation not going YOUR way?  As no one arrives, we take the party to them.  Reaching for the phone, we call the first person on the list.  Conversation becomes one sided as we spew out all troubles.  Upon hanging up the phone, the emotions remain with even greater magnitude.  So, on to the next person. . .

This charade continues until enough attention, sympathy and advice occurs.  We even go as far as to post it on Facebook and wait for responses.  Hourly, we check status and with each post confirm the importance of such a pity party. 

Think about the results gained as such event takes place.  Do we feel better?  Is the problem solved?  Typically, the answer is a big NO.  We spent the greater part of our day drowning in pity and missed out on the importance of the moment.  We missed the spiritual growth, lessons hiding in the moment and continue reaching for flesh contentment. 

I am not speaking about the true tragic events which warrant people to gather around and help through such sadness, confusion and emotion.  I am speaking of the everyday situations, the ‘things did not go MY way’ moments and the selfish mindsets we all experience.  This selfish girl experiences these moments too often.  As a mother, it seems the invitation arrives in the mail daily.  As a mother, one must die to self.  Never does a day go MY way.  Never does a situation go smoothly.  Poor, poor, pitiful me. . .

I have learned over the years and with the Holy Spirit’s help to recognize the envelope with which the invitation arrives.  It always appears glamorous, eye catching and screams ‘OPEN ME!’  There are times I give in, open it and begin the party.  Other times I peel back the corner of the envelope and just to peek inside.  But the greatest times occur when I take it directly to the shredder never to see it again.  For if I lay it on the counter, flesh may win and open it later in the day. 

How can we gain strength to avoid such silly parties?  How can we refuse the invite every time?  Aren’t our feelings valid?  Feelings are valid; it is what we do with them that matters.  Avoid taking them to the phone, Facebook, email or work.  One place exists to take any and all emotions. . .

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  (Matthew 11:28-30)

There we will find strength, growth and gain true perspective on the matter!


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment