Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Growing Up!

The season arrived. . .basketball!  My husband officiates high school level basketball games.  We often tag along to watch.  My heart races as I smell the popcorn, hear the roar of the crowd, squeaking shoes, the echo of dribbling balls and the sweet sound of the whistle to begin the game.  I love basketball and everything that goes with it.  The game brings back the memories of a healthy young girl passionate about an activity, feeling confident in herself.  I loved and still love playing the game (now more so because it is the only game I can beat my husband in!). 

The kids and I decided to go to the first game of the local boy’s season.  The game began typical. . .my son sat quietly watching the game, my daughter continually in need of something due to her boredom.  Less than four minutes into the first quarter, it happened!  A little boy waved at my daughter and asked for her to sit next to him.  He held an iPad in hand which stole her heart and attention instantly.  She left me for an iPad and a friend!  Still in eye’s view, other friends joined the party of giggles and gossip!  Okay, I am happy for her to have such good friends and have fun.  I still have my son to talk the game over with and appreciate the skills each player displayed.  Just before halftime, it happened!  My son’s best friend arrived only to steal him from me as well.  So, there I sat childless and able to focus on the game.  Sounds like I should be happy, right?  No snacks to pick up as a kid misses their mouth, no one tugging on me to take them to the restroom, no arguments amongst siblings and no dispensing money to the concession stand; but, this mom became sad!  I failed to know how to act without the chaos described in the previous sentence. 

I shared the moment with a friend behind me and she simply said, “That is a sign they are growing up.”  But wait a minute, no one asked me if they could grow up this fast.  I am not ready for this.  My son beginning to look at girls in a different manner than disgusting, too cool to sit beside mom/dad, no need for chaperoning field trips any longer and taking care of his daily needs.  My daughter now dresses herself, holding a desire to pick out outfits without help, venturing off with friends at a game, no longer needing me by her side and experiencing peer pressure at school.  This is inevitable.  I cannot stop the process, only help create a smoother path along the way by building them daily based on His Truth, disciplining in love, guiding with a loose enough grip for them to feel independent and cherishing every moment spent with each child.

My friends, God does the same for each of His children.  Listen closely and He will build you with Truth, discipline in love, guide each step and cherish each moment spent with Him creating a smoother path in life.  Each moment you spend with Him will not be wasted.  He desires a relationship, one that binds you so close to Him that the roar of the crowd cannot drown out His Word.  He asks that you watch quietly at times while He works diligently to make the game just right before blowing the whistle to start playing it out. 

Early in the journey we begin immature and being carried by God through the trials and tribulations faced daily.  As His Truth imprints on our hearts, we begin walking hand in hand with God.  Even further down the journey, we walk next to God making decisions based on the Truth He taught yet still needing Him in a different way.  It is a sign we are growing up in our Christian walk.  He stands proud and asks that you now bring others to join Him and celebrate freedom! 

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree  Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment