Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Forward or Backward?

Reminiscing on a family trip to Disney brought us to the time of riding a huge roller coaster.  The coaster was not an ordinary around a few curves, up a hill or two and slowly returning back to the beginning kind of coaster.  This one played out a story of a snow monster (Yeti) chasing the coaster in hopes to destroy the tracks and all the people in the cars.  Suspense surrounded, darkness fell over the ride and off we went. 

It began slow and steady.  Hands held high, we took a few curves and enjoyed the scenery.  As speeds increased, hands took hold of the handlebar.  Loose grip moved to white knuckles while the coaster whipped and pivoted around the track.  The ride came to a halt with what appeared to be broken tracks ahead.  The Yeti tore apart the rest of the track, leaving us stranded.  What else could we do but go backwards where we came from; yet, the ride did not take the same path back down.  This time, the track contained more curves, higher speeds and steeper hills.  Screams accompanied the white knuckles.  Finally, we turned around and ventured forward able to see where the track led and leaving the Yeti in our dust.  As the ride neared the station, speeds slowed and the grip loosened.  We checked on one another to see how we survived the experience. 

Exiting the ride, we shared feelings and thoughts about the ride overall.  To some, it was awesome; others, it was torturous; and still others weren’t sure what to think about it yet.  Looking back, I loved the thrill of the ride and realized through it all we truly were safe.  Men worked diligently placing the tracks specifically in place, with sturdy construction and testing the ride numerous times before allowing people to board.  All riders eventually return safely back to the station, secure in their seats with no harm done.  This happens over and over daily.

Life can resemble a huge roller coaster.  The story played out each season never seems “ordinary” or “safe”.  I feel as though I am chased by one trying to destroy the tracks leading the way and take me down with it.  Each day surrounded with fear of what’s to come and timid reactions. 

The day begins slow and steady as I get ready in the comforts of home while enjoying the quiet environment.  Speeds increase the moment feet hit pavement and I reach for something to grip.  The day whips and pivots here and there leaving my head spinning.  A break may come midday to gain composure; yet, looking ahead ruins the moment, for the tracks finishing out the day appear broken and destroyed.  Stranded, without hope, I slide backward and reach for things that helped cope in the past.  I find they bring comfort and peace but not for long and the track they lead to contains worse conditions than where I started.  I cry out, hands raised high!

God hears my cry and takes my hand.  He turns the destroyed tracks into a straight path and leads me to peace.  He guides each move and decision, opening my eyes and leaving the enemy in the dust.  The day seems to slow down though life continues to go on around me.  I no longer need to grip tightly to the world, for my God is in control.  He keeps me safe through every twist and turn.  He worked diligently placing the path for my life, with sturdy construction He planned every moment and equipped me while in my mother’s womb to handle each day.  Relying on Him daily will lead me safely back to Home once work here is done. 

Moral of the story: as we rely on our Maker each day, we need not worry of what’s to come.  The enemy does prowl around in hopes to destroy our days and the path leading us Home.  Let go of the grip held on this world and let God lead the way safely, slowly to Him.  The ride is much less scary, intense or intolerable.  Keeping eyes on Him brings purpose to every day, whether appearing to be a good day or a bad day.  He will not lead you anywhere you are not capable of surviving.  Speaking from experience; I spent too many years riding the roller coaster backward. . .forward, eyes looking up makes for a much better ride. 

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment