Friday, August 2, 2013

Unclenched Fists

I love cleaning.  Call me weird, but it feels fantastic to look back and see progress, accomplishment and a job complete.  Cleaning and organizing allow visual results of success.  I could do both tasks all day long and be as happy as a lark (whatever that means).  The kids began a new adventure called school; so, I decided to organize and clean without two little hoarders following my every move.  Excitement arose at the thoughts of completing such a chore.  A purpose appeared to fill time spent in an empty house.  So the plan began to organize, purge, sell, redecorate and clean.  YEAH!  Come on, I know deep inside you feel excited just thinking about it!

I realized lots of junk crept into our home over the years.  The junk did not lie in the open for all to see, but hid in closets, cabinets and corners.  Well, this determined woman began scouring every inch of the house, finding items to give away, take pictures in hopes to sell or moving items straight to the dumpster.  I was on a role.  It appeared easy and refreshing to clean out the junk.  Then, something happened. . .the junk became personal.  It moved from meaningless (everyone else’s items) to memorable (my items).  The items told the story of my past.  Okay, parting with an item without a memory attached, I can do; but, letting go of the napkin from my wedding day is just painful (as if there is not a picture to remember it).  Then I found the sleeve which held our wedding night room key with the room number written on it (IKR, packs lots of meaning).  Oh yeah, then the metal from back in my athletic years, a love note from my husband written in high school (those were the days) or a shirt worn on a special occasion.  Deciding to let these go took a long time.  I realized the items held no use or meaning in the present.  I unclenched each fist and laid the items in the proper pile. . .

 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” 
(2 Corinthians 5:17)

Reminds me of the day I gave my life to Christ.  My spirit contained numerous closets, cabinets and corners filled with items of no use to my present.  But, each item told the story of my past.  That is just it. . .my PAST.  When giving our lives to Christ, new creation forms.  Our past must remain there, our baggage dropped off at the cross and our spirits cleansed.  Often times our ‘junk’ does not lie in the open for all to see, but hides deep in protected closets, cabinets and corners.  Sure, it was easy to clean up my language, change the radio station, attend service regularly, participate in service projects and even join various Bible groups; but, somewhere among all the cleansing and change it moved from pleasant to painful.  You mean, I need to let go of control (every aspect of my eating disorder), humble myself in arguments with my husband, forgive those who wronged me in the past, quit blaming people for my decisions or emotions, run to God first for comfort (not alcohol or other fleshly pleasures) and say yes to God when all I want to do is run the other way.  Wow, this is tough. 

Guess what, my friend, it may be tough. . .BUT, it is the only way to freedom.  Unclench the fists, lay all of the past in the proper pile, at the cross!  Let God heal, renew and then use you in mighty ways.  All the past happened, it is gone.  Clenching tightly to the old, locking the cabinets, guarding the closets and hiding in the corners allows the devil to creep in your thoughts.  God cannot fully work in your life.  Though it may be tough at first. . .it all works out for your good.  Letting go lightens the load and allows energy to complete the plan and purpose God holds for your future.  Don’t let the past steal the purpose of your present and plans of your future!

Recall instances in the Bible when clenched hands held back progress. . .
Israelites on their journey to the Promised Land (Exodus)
Jonah refusing to go the way God asked (Jonah)
Paul and his conversion (Acts)

These examples only include a few.  Read up on some and gain inspiration to clean those closets, cabinets and corners.  You will come to love cleaning as much as I do. . .His Word promises!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment