Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Emergency Kit

As my daughter embraced the new adventure of Kindergarten, she loved wearing new clothes, meeting new friends, playing at a never seen before playground, packing lunch and finally getting to do what her big brother has done for the past four years.  Sleep appeared quite difficult for this excited young girl.  Nightly, she tossed and turned unable to adjust to the new bed time and all the fun of the day still dancing in her head.  I should have seen it coming.  Lack of sleep, not feeling 100% and busy days = sensitive girl. 

One morning, it happened.  Second week into school and this girl had enough.  The newness wore off.  It no longer felt fun getting up at the crack of dawn, leaving the house (and baby dolls) for 7 hours and facing the unknown of each day.  She threw in the towel and demanded to stay home with me.  Tears flowed rapidly down her little cheeks.  We continued running (literally) around the house (typical school morning), scrambling to get every task done in 40 minutes.  Breakfast served, clothes on, shoes by the door, hair fixed and yes, still tears flowed.  I let her know I could not enter the school and walk her to class.  Besides, I don’t believe staff would appreciate seeing my mismatched pajamas and disheveled hair.

The drive to school seemed quite long.  It came time to pull out my mommy emergency kit.  I unlocked the kit with a plea and a beg for anything to ease the anxiety my child felt.  As I promised the world to one child, I threatened the other.  My son disagreed with showing her the correct gym to enter.  After the second day, it is so not cool to walk your little sister to the proper place.  While one child cried, the other huffed and puffed, growing in anger toward his momma.  Promises flew out of M&Ms brought after school, lunch date at school and whatever drink she would like after school.  Threats flew out concerning TV time and Kindle time taken away.  The emergency kit seemed to be working quite nicely.  My daughter began calming and against his will, my son agreed to walk with his sister.  It was time to leave the van and face this day!

Once that little purple/pink backpack left sight the flood gates opened for me.  I sat a cried, feeling helpless – a miserable mommy moment.  I made it home and quickly realized it was time to pull out another emergency kit.  I unlocked the kit with a cry out in prayer.  I needed comfort, peace and a big ole’ hug from God.  Scripture filled my thoughts, conversation continued between God and I and I felt His touch covering the situation.  He sent angels that day to watch over my little girl.  Being privileged to have an insider in the school system, I received update at lunch that my daughter found a friend and both were laughing in conversation.  Two particular angels in the form of teachers guided my daughter in the morning, comforted and wiped her tears.  God also sent His angels to watch over me that day.  I cleaned, kept in conversation with Him, called my mom (conversation with her makes everything better) and continued to use all items provided in my emergency kit. 

Do you have an emergency kit ready?  Have you replenished the supplies and kept them current?  Emergency kits need to be carried with you at all times; for, you never know when one might come in handy.  God provides various items throughout the Bible to fill our kits and the only key needed to open it – prayer!

Items provided:
Him -  If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” 
(John 14:15-17)  

Comfort -  “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,” 
(2 Corinthians 1:3)

 Peace -  “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” 
(Philippians 4:6-8)

Many more items exist to fill your kit.  Make it your own and be ready to use it every day.  At the end of the day, as I prepared to lie down, I glanced at the clock – 8:28!  God works all things out for the good of those who love Him!  Yes He does.  My day filled with much emotion, but I grew closer to God that day and I know my daughter did as well.  Thank You God for all You did that day for my family.  I love You!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig          

No comments:

Post a Comment