Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Faith Builder

My knowledge continues to increase while in nursing school.  Yeah, I gain info on lots of medical terms, caretaking skills and how to properly wash my hands (yes, washing hands is an art which must be learned); but, the real lessons come not from a book or voice of my instructor.  The important learning takes place within, from my one True Instructor. 
I want to share one lesson which continues to show up throughout nursing school. . .

No matter how prepared you feel, your task list checked off completely and every book you own in your bag – you will always miss something, forget something or fail in some way to fulfill requirements for the day.  This fact messes heavily with an individual struggling with perfectionism and OCD.  Arriving to class feeling great about all you have done and prepared for, only to be crushed and clearly shown all your flaws. 

Take a first day of the semester experience for example:  I arrive way early as always, books in bag, notebook ready, PowerPoint saved to ipad, pencils sharpened, pens, highlighters, schedule, etc.  I travel up to the room which the schedule I printed (1 week prior to class) directs.  I sit down in my usual front row seat (yes, I am one of THOSE students), carefully place all materials out for use and wait.  And wait.  And wait.  About five minutes before class time, I begin to worry because I am the only person in the room.  Here we go with the scenario mentioned above.  I text a friend and sure enough, I was in the wrong classroom.  I quickly gathered all materials and rushed upstairs just in time (luckily my front row seat remained vacant for me!).  Class begins and sure enough, quite a few items pop up that I failed to do prior to class.  After class concludes, I rush out to complete the undone tasks all while trying to accomplish my original itinerary for the day. 

This is minor compared to past experiences.  With each day, I step into the unknown of nursing school.  I can never be prepared for what lay ahead.  Many days include heartache, defeat, rejection, sorrow, pain and frustration.  Emotions run the gamut.  Circumstances steal joy and create a foothold for the enemy.  The length of this season seems like forever.  I feel I cannot take anymore suffering through these uncertain, stressful and busy times.  Why all the suffering?  Can’t I just get through it with joy?

Well, not all circumstances in life paint a joyful picture.  Suffering may occur for a mighty purpose.  Difficult times may appear to strengthen faith.  Had I refused to embark on this adventure, I would miss out on important lessons from my Instructor.  My relationship with God would weaken.  Through each day in school, our relationship grows in strength beyond what I can describe.  Without Him, I could do NONE of this. . .    

“True joy is not the absence of pain, but the presence of the Lord Jesus in the midst of the pain.  Suffering is a pathway to sanctification, a doorway into greater intimacy with God.”  ~Nancy Leigh DeMoss

My example pales in comparison to the greatest example - the death of God’s only Son.  Pain, agony, humiliation, rejection, grief, sorrow, etc. entered the life of Jesus.  What did each situation render?  Was God absent through it all?  Why did He not just make them all stop this brutal beating, berating and blaming?  He is God, right?  He holds the power to change any course, protect in all situations and remove all pain in our lives. 

The key to that is if it be in His Will.  Suffering may occur to set an example for others to follow, encourage those living similar situations and to benefit His Kingdom.  He will take care of you, protect you at all times and erase the pain as our eyes remain on Him and the prize that awaits the course we travel.  I don’t know why others suffer in such ways.  I don’t know why evil lurks around every corner, waiting for a foothold.  But, I do know, as we set our eyes on Him, it all works out for His good and we feel the joy of being His servant regardless of the circumstance faced.  Our reward far outweighs any peace, joy or escape IN this world.  Our reward lasts for eternity and fills our heart, mind and soul with everlasting peace, joy and escape FROM this world. 

Suffering will not last forever.  God knows the length required in each situation to fulfill His purpose and plan for your life.  He will not take you further than His grace can cover.  He will not let you fall; yet, He who began a good work in you will carry it until completion.  In the end, He will say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  Those words alone make any suffering worth it.  The thought of hearing those words from our God motivate and remind that suffering lasts but a season, a blip in time compared to the Eternal life waiting for us!

Therefore, all this ‘suffering’ I feel I am experiencing is really strengthening me and preparing me for the reward which lay ahead.  Jesus did not say no to all the suffering; yet, He continued and received His reward.  What a great example to follow.  Thank You God for sending Your only Son to die for me and set the example I need to look to every day.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment