Sunday, June 10, 2012

Servant, Not Pleaser

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

"when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.  Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.  Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." (1 Peter 3:2-4) 

God recently opened my eyes to the Scriptures above with a greater understanding.  Too often I get caught up in trying to look a certain way or act in a way which others will approve and accept me.  I fall into the trap of focusing on the clothes I wear, the way in which my hair falls or the lack of makeup I apply.  Slowly, I shrink back and lose all confidence.  My demeanor shifts to reserved and jealousy arises.  Satan acts quickly and feeds lies into my thoughts.  He informs me that performance and appearance determine my importance in this life.  The clothes I wear, the hairstyle I choose and the makeup applied will bring fulfillment.  My performance brings others into my life and I will be accepted.  I must be perfect and conform to the patterns OF this world in order to 'fit in'.  

Really?  Satan, these may have worked in the past and allowed you to create bondage in my life; but, no more will I believe these lies or succumb to your schemes.  I have found the Way, the Truth and the Life.  He will save me from the battle within my mind.  He already won over Satan.  My outward appearance means nothing.  God created me perfectly in His image.  He placed every hair on my head just right and the way they fall is beautiful.  God blesses me with a wardrobe that goes perfectly with my character and allows me to be comfortable.  He takes care of each detail for me.  Relying on Him and walking the path laid for my life has brought fulfillment to my days.  Don't get me wrong; Satan still tries to throw daggers my way and trip me up from time to time.  But, I know Who to turn to for help.  God's Truths bring me back to where I need to be.  I realize I do not want to 'fit in' here; for this life is temporary.

Guess what, my friend?  This ALL applies to you as well.  You are beautiful/handsome and created perfectly in His image.  No matter what clothes or hairstyle you wear; God created beauty in you.  He created a plan and purpose specific to you.  How amazing!  He loves and cares so much for our lives that He planned out every second of our days with an important purpose.  God desires a relationship with us and for us to live as servants.  Our performance must not be directed toward pleasing man.  We are here to be servants of our Creator, our Father in Heaven.  Look to Him for guidance and seek not the approval of man.  Doing so brings unspeakable joy into each day.  Failing to focus on Him and seeking the desires of man keeps the void inside our hearts.  Others will always find fault in you somewhere, at some point in the relationship.  God will not.  He does not judge on your appearance because He knows His creation is beautiful and perfect.  He does not reject you due to mistakes; yet, covers it with His grace.  

Seek His Truth.  He placed it all in one nice, neat Book.  Pick one up today and begin renewing your thoughts.  Kick Satan out and stand firm on His Word.  You are His child.  God protects His children and leads them in the way they should go.  He will not leave you to be destroyed by the ways of this world.  Remember this life is only temporary.  Keep focused on your Eternal Home!  He has big plans for you here; do not let the focus of appearance and performance get in the way.  Take a stand today and become a servant to God, not a pleaser of man!

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for filling me with Truth and kicking Satan out of my thoughts.  He continues to try and defeat me with traps found in this world.  Keep my eyes open so I may recognize them and quickly turn to You.  Lift me over and past his evil traps and schemes.  May I not conform to the patterns of this world but continue to be renewed daily with the Truths You provide.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig    

No comments:

Post a Comment