Sunday, June 24, 2012

God is Speaking, Listen Closely

As I returned from my Memaw's 90th birthday (YAY!), I recall what I learned over just two days.  It seems God always takes advantage of every opportunity to teach me and speak to my heart.  God cares so much for each of us and speaks daily to guide us in our journey here.  We must take the time to listen. . .

It began with a road trip, about four hours, with my children and my sister's children.  I felt blessed to spend time with all of them and catch up on what's going in their lives.  My children also loved having a new group of faces in the vehicle.  I was reminded of the importance these children hold in my life.  I discovered the power of influence; the way children absorb everything and mimic the example leading them.  As adults, we must set a loving, caring, patient example while having all kinds of fun.  We must pay attention to the influences our children encounter.  Some we cannot control, others we can; but, we can always take opportunity to teach them right from wrong through the situations they encounter daily.  How do we accomplish that?  We engage in their lives, talk with them constantly and open arms of love to them.  They may do something wrong or say a foul word; don't get mad, they may not realize the action or word is bad.  These precious children are trying to navigate through this world.  Let's help them.

I learned that children know how to have fun, laugh and enjoy the moment.  Being stuck in a car for four hours sounds pretty boring.  But, these children did not let boredom strike.  I learned all kinds of new car games, heard jokes, listened to future dreams each held and the four hours felt like ten minutes.  As adults, we can learn from them and enjoy the moment.  Make the best of the situation given to you and shine the light of Jesus to all.  See the cup half full!

Upon arrival, more lessons poured in.  I heard God telling me to let go of control and the itinerary I created.  I have recently felt overwhelmed and completely out of control.  So, to counteract these feelings, I try to take charge over my life and those around me.  I create schedules, keep my house "perfectly clean" and obsess over every detail of my days.  And when all that does not work (which it never does), my anxiety rises and I feel defeated.  God was telling me to chill; He has my back and will work all things out for the good of those who love Him.  He told me that enough is enough.  So, I gave Him my itinerary and it looked nothing like mine.  But, guess what?  It was perfect and I had so much fun.

After sleeping a good night's rest, I got to wake up with my beautiful mother (we stay at her house).  Oh, how I miss her.  That is a blessing in and of itself just to spend some time with her.  Thank You God for providing this wonderful woman in my life and creating a bond between us that shall never be broken.  My mom experiences that joy I spoke of before.  She has a blast everywhere she goes because she cares for people, enjoys conversation and takes time to listen to them.  I see, through her example, the important things in life do not include: a clean house, perfect clothes, stylish hair or status.  The important things include: relationships, setting an example of a Christian and loving people.  Don't get me wrong, my mother's house is spotless, perfectly decorated, her hair is beautiful and she dresses with style.  But, that is not the focus of her every day.

Reflecting on my Memaw's 90 years of living, I see so much to strive for!  She shined Jesus' light with every step.  She appreciates people.  She loves unconditional.  She relaxes and enjoys the life given to her.  Our God never stops using her to further His Kingdom.  Thank You God for providing this woman in my life to influence and lead my mother and I.  May she have many more years here with us.

God sends all kinds of people in our lives; those who lead us and those who we lead.  Pay attention and learn from every person you meet.  Be a vessel for God and shine light into the day.  Take the example you received and pass it on down to others needing direction.  Point them to Who will bring them where they need to be!

"In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us." (Titus 2:7-8)

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment