Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Free Falling

A person waits 3500 feet above ground to jump aimlessly out of an aircraft.  The parachute deploys automatically during the first few jumps.  After completing those, the person qualifies for a free fall jump.  The aircraft reaches heights of 4000 feet or more for this jump.  The person falls and is responsible for pulling the ripcord.  Falling aimlessly can bring anxiety as a sense of control is lost.  Gravity, wind and weather are in control.  As the out of control feeling overtakes the person; they quickly remember the knowledge taught in classes leading up to this point.  Also, they remember at which point the parachute deployed when the static line released the ripcord for them.  Quickly, the jumper reaches for the ripcord and pulls to deploy the parachute.  Anxiety leaves because they now have protection surrounding them and assistance in landing.

A trembling person stands upon a structure standing hundreds of feet tall.  1...2...3...JUMP!  The initial fall seems thrilling and exciting for passersby.  But, the person jumping may be thinking, "What did I get myself into now?"  Anxiety increases as the fall brings a sense of powerlessness and weakness.  The fall continues and the person has no control over when it ends.  The jumper reaches for something to grab a hold of, something to clinch for reassurance that all is okay.  They remember the process before jumping required hookup of many harnesses and cords.  Some anxiety leaves, knowing the safety gear is connected to them and should not let them go.  Should not?  Oh yeah, the risk remains of the harness and/or cord breaking.  At about that time, the cord pulls tightly and the person bounces back up.  Then, the process continues until stopping and just hanging there.  Ahhhh. . . safely done.  The cord did not let the person down (no pun intended). 

I have experienced some crazy rides and simulators to present the feel of skydiving or bungee jumping, but never the real deal.  I cannot imagine doing the real thing.  Or can I?

Well, in life, I often feel like a skydiver or bungee jumper.  My world is spinning fast, storms in life throw me this way or that way and no control seems to be had by me.  My steps seem aimless.  I hear myself screaming, "What in the world have you got yourself into?!"  The lack of control scares me, the unknown results lying ahead of me scares me and anxiety rises up in me.

Recently, I experienced this very thing.  Taking on new endeavors in life brought much anxiety.  I tried to grasp the whole picture and figure out how each detail would play out.  I could not get the pieces to line up as I thought they should.  Confidence in my future vanished and defeat entered my thoughts.  I, one person, could not do this all by myself.  I do not have the tools, knowledge, reassurance or understanding of how this will work.  I needed the help of others, but my hard head and need for control struggles with asking for help.  The famous what if? questions enter my thoughts.  These give all kinds of room for Satan to begin playing with my emotions. 

Amongst all this, I finally remembered the lessons taught leading up to this point.  I remember these ugly, sneaky schemes the enemy played on my before.  So, I quickly reach for my Protector, Leader and Healer.  I grab a hold of His Word and immediately feel assurance that all will work out for His good.  I know our God will not let me fall.  He will catch me and walk me through each step.  I cannot look at the big picture; it is too much to handle.  God holds all of it in His hands because He knows exactly how to handle any and every situation.  I am right in saying I cannot do any of what lay ahead of me.  I cannot line the pieces up so to build a perfect picture.  I do not have understanding, knowledge or answers for all the what ifs?.  But, I do have the tools to take me one step at a time.  His Word will guide my moves, take my anxiety away and allow me to focus on the task at hand.  He will provide enough time for everything to get done and send help at all times.  Thank You God!

So, when life becomes chaotic, you begin to fall aimlessly, feel out of control and anxiety rises up inside; reach for your Protector and Guide.  Grab a hold of His Word and feel the hedge of protection surround you.  He will slow down the thoughts of defeat and anxiety and you can enjoy the ride.  He will pull you close and never break the grip He holds on you.  Reach for Him.  He promises to work all things out for the good of those who love Him.

God, thank you for another day.  Thank You for leading me and bringing peace to my anxious thoughts.  I give my future to You and feel confident You will take care of it all.  I have faith in the path You laid for me.  Thank You for loving me so much to plan these great adventures for me and surround me with loving, helping individuals.  I love You.

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment