Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Passenger Side






On what seemed like a day long journey, my husband and I traveled miles without stopping.  Our hopes were to arrive home in the least amount of time predicted by some lady talking from the iPhone.  We popped in an audio book; kept snacks close by and ventured off - homeward bound.  The book kept us entertained, conversation flowing and hours to pass by quickly. 

Since becoming a nurse, my bladder received conditioning and training to hold onto to large amounts for extended periods of time.  That time limit had been reached.  We chose the next rest area for a stop off (thankfully, only a few miles ahead). 

I paid no attention to anyone, only looked at the door and gauged the shortest distance to get there.  But, on my way back out, I scanned the parking lot and the hustle and bustle of individuals gearing up to get back on the road.  No destination appeared similar, for license plates varied in location.  Some may be going to a vacation spot; while others may be heading to begin their work week away from home.  Regardless, most desired to get in and get out. 

Some decided to take advantage of the sunshine and time out of a vehicle.  I noticed dogs being walked, couples walking hand in hand on the sidewalks and even some doing exercises to get the body moving.  It is interesting how one rest stop can serve multiple purposes.   

Do you ever feel like a rest stop would be nice along this curvy, bumpy and long journey called life?  Just a quick get in and get out kind of rest would be better than extending the travel beyond limits of sanity.  Since becoming a Christian and maturing in relationship with Christ, my spirit received conditioning and training to handle tough situations without losing all strength.  Now that the Holy Spirit actively participates in daily trials, strength seems to sustain. 

There are moments along the journey when limits have been reached and giving up seems the only answer.  I fall flat on my face, hitting rock bottom and realizing surrender must take place.  It is then when God comes in offering a rest stop.  Taking full advantage of the rest area, I will stretch spiritual muscles through prayer, exercise faith muscles through reading His Truth and strengthen trust muscles through walking hand in hand with God. 

While hanging out at the rest area, I scan through the past moments leading to such a meltdown.  Come to find out, I somewhere along the way took matters into my own hands.  I asked God to sit passenger while I drove.  Ask my husband, you don’t want me driving!  Recognizing such an event occurred; I now realize how things went haywire.  I focused on plans created by self, basing decisions on worldly information and data. 

The rest area allowed for a refresh.  I emptied self of self and filled with Truth to bring strength from trial.  The time comes when I get back in the car, this time passenger side.  God takes the wheel, veers back on the highway of life and takes me places beyond imagination.  He uses my story to help others along the road so they too may see that their place is passenger side. 

Have you reached your limit?  Search for the nearest rest area and take the time to be strengthened.  You may see others at the same stop; but, don’t let their get in and get out action veer you from the reason for the stop.  Many will visit, but their plans vary from yours.  The cool part about our God; He meets us where we are to take us where He desires for our lives.  Each individual unique and each story created for a purpose to build His Kingdom.

Take a rest today and refocus on His plan.  Are you driving or riding?  Stretch through prayer.  Exercise through reading Truth.  Strengthen through walking hand in hand with God.


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment