Friday, March 27, 2015

A Blank Page



The other day my daughter and I held a conversation pertaining to childhood.  We discussed a good friend of the family who now, unfortunately, we do not get to visit with as much.  This good friend took my daughter’s very first picture, which remains in my wallet to this day.  We decided to look at more baby pictures and reminisce a bit.  The pictures tell her story.

The conversation stemmed from an upcoming birthday which will put my baby girl at a mature seven years old.  I am not sure if the emotion dwelling inside occurs due to her age or the fact I am aging as well.  I will say the baby years are missed though sleep was scarce, moods all over the place and less organized activities on the itinerary.  The baby years held lots of milestones which filled two proud parents with joy.  Now just memories, the joy still remains but not as potent. 

One pictures showed a bellybutton.  “Mom, why did you take a picture of my bellybutton?”  Oh boy, deep conversation followed that question.  I explained that ‘her cord’ fell off and that was a milestone.  “What cord?”  Continuing, I explained the connection between a mom and baby.  What happened to the simple questions, “Mom, how does this toy make noise?”  Simple, easy, quick fix and mom becomes hero!  Nowadays, one question turns into a major ‘teachable moment’ discussing subjects ‘off the cuff’.

The baby years vanish quickly, but milestones still come into the path.  We may not capture these in pictures as done in the past (i.e. sitting, crawling, walking, first trip to. . ., etc.); but, the milestones still fill two proud parents with joy.  Such as, the day our children accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Or even yet, the day my children worked together to create a successful project.  Also the moment I catch them opening a door for another, carrying items to the car to help mom out, cleaning their room without being asked, etc. 

Yes, I would like to declare today the day in which my children quit growing!  Unfortunately, I have no say in the matter and many plans wait ahead for each that requires maturity and aging.  Each moment lived builds them for progress on the path specifically planned for them.  Should they step to the right or left of the path, which most likely they will from time to time, progress will cease but lessons will be learned.  I would love to walk alongside and warn them if their feet near the edge or begin turning in the wrong direction; but, I cannot.

What I can do for them?  Pray, pray, pray and then pray some more.  I realize their story is written by a much greater Author than me.  See, this Author already knows the end; therefore, can write each page perfectly so my children will reach the ending safely.  The story will contain storms as well as sunshine.  The story will contain sorrow as well as solace.  Some chapters may begin with pure solitude and skepticism; but, lead to a beautiful union and understanding. 

No one has read the story.  If they had, then faith would be absent, trust taken for granted and love unnecessary.  The Author knows the story and wrote the ending before birth.  It is the pages between which build the faith required to fulfill the ending.  As trust appears in the story, the Author can then turn the story for His good to ultimately reach the ending.

What is your story?  Some chapters you may desire to erase completely.  Others you wish to read over and over and over again.  Often times we take the pen and shift the biography to an autobiography.  It is in those pages where our feet shift off the path and hard lessons learned.  Thankfully, the Author never leaves nor forsakes.  He waits patiently until our hand grows weak.  It is in that moment, we hand the pen back over, faith grows through surrender, trust strengthens and love abounds. 

Yes, I would like my children to stop their story right now so to prevent any trials which lay ahead and to enjoy these innocent years.  I would like to stop my story right now and avoid any future hardships; but, at what cost?  We would miss the great work our Author has planned.  We would miss the relationships, the maturity and love He provides at the stroke of the pen.  Nope, I am going to wake up each day, blank page before me and allow my Author to write an adventure that will help build His Kingdom.  For, I know in the end I will meet Him and the daily renewal will make the ending indescribable.   


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment