Friday, October 10, 2014

The Prairie Life

Okay, so I know I am not alone in this one. . .I tuned into Little House on the Prairie the other day!  Took me way back and I loved it.  Watching closely to responses to trials and tribulations, I felt shocked.  The images were foreign to my eyes.  No cellphone existed for the person suffering to run and call a friend for an opinion or shoulder to cry.  No vehicles owned to drive to local bar and drown in sorrows.  No television to trade your drama for another’s.  No internet to Google – how to solve _______ problem? 

These individuals relied on family support, nature’s beauty and hard work to see them through each day.  Financial strain remained minimum due to processing own food, keeping up own land and less STUFF; pressure to keep up with the “Jones” rarely ruled any lifestyle due to distance between one another and lack of social media telling how you should live; moral values solidified within the family unit due to quality time spent together, quiet moments for self-evaluation and love surrounding them daily.  Families fought, but worked it out.  Siblings disagreed, but stuck beside one another.  Life wasn’t easy then either, but they worked through rather than escaped.  Oh, to live on the prairie!

Okay, so it is television and the individuals are actors/actresses. . .but seriously, it is sad to see how our society now relies so much on the world for peace.  We rely on fleshly desires for comfort.  The media decides the next step for our lives.  Addiction feeds our troubles yet feels like the solution.  Electronics steal time away from those who provide support, love and good advice.  Financial strains continue as we live beyond our means just to have STUFF to please our flesh.  It is a rotating problem with one solution. . .take yourself out of this world and into Christ.  Living in Christ brings peace to every situation, solution to every concern, strength to every relationship and freedom from every burden laid upon you. 

I don’t always get it right by any means.  I fall victim to the world and begin digging a hole for the enemy to bury me.  My flesh becomes unhappy, times get overwhelming, decisions lead to trials and the struggle seems too great.  I find myself running to this world for comfort; something to numb my emotions even for just a little bit.  The result comes out the same every time. . .temporary relief.  The problems do not leave, people do not have the answer, tears continue to fall, frustrations grow in strength and there I sit without peace or hope. 

Luckily, with each trial maturation occurs and I don’t fall too deeply before realizing I am reaching the wrong way.  Reaching upward is the only solution.  Turning to His Word, believing the promises within His Book and living daily in the hope provided in Him will conquer any trial.  Live simply through Him.  He provides the prairie life each of us desire and need: simple, filled with love, hope, meaning and purpose!  He holds great plans for you and for me. 

Let us start today and live in Him, not the world. . . 
 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

“Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.” Psalm 62:5-7

My dear sweet friends. . .
“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

And always. . .

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment