Wednesday, October 29, 2014

#redeemed

Our church held a harvest party following service one Sunday.  The kids stayed with my husband while I drove home to grab Halloween costumes and snacks.  While driving home, I mentally created a check off list to assure everything would return with me.  I drove as always, seat belt on, a smidge over the speed limit, using turn signals and watching the road carefully.  Instinct led me home.  The first item my eyes gazed upon at home was my purse.  Inside that purse was a wallet.  Inside that wallet was my license.  I drove without this license not thinking about it, just moving right along on the journey.  Had I been pulled over, got in a wreck or stranded on the side of the road I would have been out of luck.  I did not realize my wallet sat at home. . .#clueless. 

Well, I would like to inform you that on my way out to return to church that I grabbed my purse and wallet.  Nope, epic fail.  I ventured far enough too far to turn back when realizing the purse and wallet remained at home.  On the journey back, I focused better on the speedometer, assured placement of the seatbelt and prayed no other driver hit me; for I knew the wrongful action existed of driving without a license.  The awareness created a sense of healthy fear leading to better driving.  Knowing I was in the wrong taught a lesson never to leave home without a license again. . .#lesson learned.

This scenario reflects my journey as a Christian.  Since childhood I ventured through life mentally creating a check off list to assure everyone around liked and accepted me.  I continued daily not realizing each step taken led further away from the straight path.  For years, I plunged forward at crazy speeds living dangerously in hopes to reach a happy, calm and peaceful state.  My mission was acceptance, love, attention, sympathy and anyone to take away the emotional pain life pressed on my heart.  The result: I lost myself in the mess created when reaching for worldly ‘things’.  A day came when I hit rock bottom and my physical body could not keep up with the numbing process my emotional body demanded.  A still small voice arose and led me to the Cross.  The first item my eyes gazed upon was an open Hand.  I reached out and the Hand held tightly and pulled me into His arms.  I traveled life’s journey up to this point without salvation. . .#lost.

Well, I would like to inform you that on my way out the door daily I grab His Hand tightly and face each step with His Guidance.  Nope, not perfect!  There was only One Who was perfect and stepped according to His Guidance at all times.  Thankfully, after accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I do not venture too far down the road without realizing something is missing.  The Holy Spirit works within to caution and bring focus back to any situation.  The Holy Spirit provides safety restraints by means of full armor of God.  The awareness of sin and the path which sin leads builds a reverent fear; a fear which brings respect, honor and glory to my Creator.  I am blessed and thank God for His Presence at all times.  He does not hold it against me the years I left Him behind on a daily basis.  He loved me through my addictions, eating disorder, people pleasing and lost years.  Each day I learn a new lesson, strengthening our relationship and awareness to never begin a day without Him. . .#redeemed.

You can have joy, peace, freedom and never-ending love as well.  His Hand waits open and ready to take you into His arms.  Will you reach out today?  Take Him as your Lord and Savior and activate the Holy Spirit inside.  Quit driving through life in danger!  Move from clueless to redeemed!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig        

No comments:

Post a Comment