Saturday, October 4, 2014

Remain in His Presence

THEY say, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.”  Well, I think I would like to tweak that a bit to say, “Absence makes the heart grow sad leading to weakness.”  My life exemplifies the latter saying.  Since childhood, homesickness became a label I carried anytime my mother and I were apart.  I loved being near her and felt comforted by her presence.  Apart, I felt scared, alone, sad and sick to my stomach. 

Now as an adult, homesickness continues to strike.  My mom lives four hours away and often I long to see her when storms rage, advice is needed or when a mother’s touch will heal the hurts.  Thankfully, I have been blessed with a fantastic husband and two kids who overflow my heart with love.  I often long for more time with them as well. . .quality time that is!  Not time spent signing agendas, doing homework, picking outfits for the day, daily chores, etc.; I long for time to sit and talk, color, play a game, etc.  Same goes with my husband.  I long for time to just be with him without heavy burdens weighing us down. 

Since beginning a night shift career, the quality time with my husband diminished.  It seems more tasks are done while together than hanging out.  Homesickness strikes again due to absence from one another.  My heart is not necessarily growing fonder. . .it is growing weaker with sadness.  I see my kids, but often too exhausted to be the mom they have come to know.  Therefore, sadness strikes again for absence makes my heart become weaker leading to sickness. 

I strive to mature as a Christian with each passing day.  I have come to realize that “Absence makes the heart grow sad leading to weakness” in this area of life as well.  When life throws daggers every way you look deterring you from time with God, your heart slowly weakens.  With weakened hearts, we try to battle the storms raging around our lives.  Sadness develops and a foothold forms allowing the enemy to build a wedge to drive us further away from the one true Source of strength.  We tend to reach for security, help and hope in whatever may be near to find relief from such sadness for even a moment in time.  The things of this world offer only temporary relief: food, money, drugs, alcohol, people, entertainment, etc.  Yet, we come to a point where any relief is worth the cost because we are so weak and sick.  The core of the issue remains the same in every situation; absence from God has made our heart develop sickness.  The only way to heal is through His Word and giving Him time He deserves.

I have been there many times and can now sense when I begin drifting.  The Holy Spirit will act quickly when the drift begins and open my eyes to the situation.  Getting caught up in a storm often pulls me away from time with God.  My excuse: I am so busy, tired and just can’t do it all!  The reality: If I would give my time to God, study His Word and pull my strength from the only Source needed, I would find life quieted, restful and He would do it all for me!  Too often I turn to this world for help from such struggles and quickly see relief only occurs temporarily.  Thankfully, our God overflows with grace.  He scoops me up, accepts me where I am and takes me places unimaginable. 

Don’t let absence from God cause sickness within your heart which will spill over to every area in your life.  Begin this day giving Him the time and attention deserved.  He provided this life for each of us; the very least we can do is give ourselves to Him.  Let Him carry out the precious plan He holds for you.  You will be amazed and stand in awe of what He does daily!     

“So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.  See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.  For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.” Colossians 2:6-10

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment