Saturday, May 31, 2014

Protection Needed

As children grow, parents slowly let go to increase independence.  Trust determines how loose the grip; while maturity determines which situations our children can handle alone.  Letting go too fast leads to destructive decisions and possibly physical harm.  Letting go too late diminishes the child’s critical thinking skills and ability to build their own character.  How can we parents discern between letting go too fast or too slow?

Well, I experienced a situation when my hands let go too fast and my daughter entered situations unprepared.  She carries a great head on her shoulders and displays responsibility daily.  But, one evening pressures from peers got the best of her.  At my son’s baseball game, I let her go to the playground with another little girl we knew well.  The playground sits in eyesight of the bleachers.  All was well. . .the girls played and I kept eyes on the playground often.  Occasionally, she came to check in, get a drink and grab some money for concessions.  As the game progressed, I realized she had not been over in a while.  I looked around and did not see her on the playground.  I did not panic immediately, but began to worry a bit.  She then appeared with three new friends attached.  I knew one of the three, but not sure on the other two.  They had explored the wooded area next to the playground.  I calmly (okay, not really calm) explained why I did not agree with her playing in that area and told her to stay on the playground.  How can I help her if she is not in eyesight?

Then, once recovered from the devastating news of limitations on her play, she ventured off with these kids to the playground.  I heard some words thrown out from peers that I do not want my six year old daughter saying.  Okay, strike two right?  How can I protect her from such an environment if she goes places without me?

I decided I would discuss the matters in a private setting later.  I kept my eye on her the remainder of the game.  The game concluded and I began saying goodbye to others and proceeded to the playground to get my daughter.  I find her trying out a kid’s bike (too big a size for her body frame) without training wheels (she is just now learning to ride without), all while holding a sucker in her mouth.  Visions flash through my mind of a fall, a sucker lunging to the back of her throat and our night quickly taking a turn for the worst.  I yell for her to come quickly to me.  Strike three for the evening!  She listens and I explain reasons why the decision was not the best. . .then I frantically let her know that she will not play on the playground without me again.  Dramatic?  Maybe, but I have a difficult time thinking of my daughter being placed in situations and faced with decisions when she is not ready.  How can I trust her with mighty things when I see she needs some more guidance on the little things first?

Ever feel like God may be asking the above questions concerning your situation.  How can He help us if we don’t keep our eyes on Him?  How can He protect us in our environment if we choose to travel without Him?  How can He trust us with mighty things if we show we cannot handle everyday little things first?

God loves us so much that He sent His only Son to die in place of us.  Sin washed away with a mighty act.  The Holy Spirit can now live within.  The future is now fixed and our hope can remain in the promises He stated.  So, why do we let go too quickly and feel we got this on our own?  The situation will always lead to destruction and possibly physical harm.  We relive this scenario over and over.  I have been there and done that too many times.  I venture off down a path in tunnel vision of MY itinerary and using MY thoughts as a guide.  Once arriving in the place which seemed perfect at the time, my vision blurs and danger surrounds.  I see that immaturity brought me to this place.  So, what do I do?  I pray some mighty prayers.  I reach up for help.  Slowly, He leads me back to safe territory.  Then, together we evaluate the scenario and see where I went wrong.

For starters, I believed in MY itinerary and MY thoughts encouraged each step.  Then, I began listening to the worldly pressures rather than my Father.  The path leading away from Him placed me in great danger.  I was unprepared for the situation because of immature thinking.  We may carry a good head on our shoulders, but when we begin venturing farther down a path not planned by Him, danger surrounds. 

Let’s live His way. . .keep in constant sight of Him so help remains by your side, only go where He paves a way and live like Christ daily to show maturity in even the smallest things.  His Holy Spirit resides to bring clarity, guidance and strength.  Invite Him daily into your situation.  You will be amazed at the places He takes you and the situations He trusts you to handle.  Be patient, He does not want to loosen His grip too fast.  He knows what is best for you and His timing is always perfect!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig 

No comments:

Post a Comment