Monday, December 30, 2013

Get Your Lifetime License

Oh, the joy of holding a plastic 3 x 2 inch card with personal information and a hideous self-portrait.  Sitting behind a steering wheel, gear shift in D, feet in place and seat belt on sends an unexplained rush throughout a sixteen year old’s body.  The time arrived for you to be in control.  No more passengers watching over your shoulder, critiquing every move or threatening to cease any opportunity for obtaining a license.  The time arrived for you to sit in the driver’s seat.  Push aside all the video games of virtual driving and hit the pavement joining all others in authentic driving. 

As an amateur, you believe to know everything pertaining to driving.  Any situation can be handled successfully.  Neither help nor advice needed at any time.  Just hand over the keys, dish out a little gas money and send me on my way!  If parents are lucky, you will return by curfew, right?  What is curfew anyway and who came up with the concept?  Laying your head on a pillow before sunrise should be sufficient, right? 

Curfew provides protection.  Nothing good happens late at night.  Drivers become tired, may be returning from a place where not-so-safe decisions occurred and road/weather conditions may turn dangerous.  Curfew does not mean you are a bad driver, but others and the environment work against the safety of returning home.  Some children push limits, staying at location until last minute allowing for the exact amount of time to return at the door on the dot.  Also, some ignore forecasts and drive despite warning from educated individuals.  CONFESSION:  I fit into both the categories just described.  RESULT:  I sped home numerous times taking curves at record speed; I faced roads covered in snow, ice or puddles of rain.  These decisions found me in a ditch countless times.  A few memories remain vivid. . .one time I took a curve WAY too fast in order to get home in time and my little Ranger took over, ending the chaos face forward in a ditch perpendicular to the road.  Items flew all over the vehicle.  The only damage – my pride.  My phone had no charge, leaving me stranded at 2:00 AM in the middle of nowhere.  I began walking, ended up hitching a ride from a postman and headed to a gas station to wake my dad with a phone call in need of rescue.  Sad thing is. . .he wasn't surprised, this scenario occurred before.  Another time, I was a few feet from home, took a curve normal speed BUT the road covered in snow completely took over the direction of my vehicle.  This time was a gradual slide into the ditch.  AGAIN, called upon my dad to come and rescue. 

Never did I damage a vehicle beyond what dad could easily fix.  You could say my driving record looks pretty ugly.  I never lost my license, dad never denied me the vehicle and I continued to drive the roads to my best ability coming out of each ditch a stronger driver.  Another record of mine looks pretty ugly. . .decisions made found me in countless ditches.  There exists a time when I felt the power to sit in the driver’s seat and pushed aside the Spirit’s guidance while joining others in worldly driving.  Immaturity, pride and pain blocked any nudging from my Father.  “I got this,” I proclaimed.  Neither help nor advice needed at this time.  Just lay the path and send me on my way!  I will be safe, returning to You when I need a prayer.  Sitting in a pew on Sunday should be sufficient, right? 

WRONG!  I never accounted for environmental factors, surrounded myself with those making not-so-safe decisions and followed in the footsteps of lethargic spirits.  I sped through curves in life, drove full force through storms and ignored any warning from my Omniscient Father.  But, every ditch I found myself in, no matter the depth or severity, He rescued me.  Looking back, I see my Omnipresent Father arrived every time.  He wasn't surprised, He knew this would occur; yet, He loved me anyway, pulled me from the ditch, fixed any damage and set me on my way.  Maturing in Christ slowed me down.  I moved from the driver’s to passenger’s seat.  I now place it in His Hands.  From time to time a curve still sends me in a ditch or a storm takes over my clear vision.  Oh, but I know just Who to call for rescue.  Quickly, I turn to Him and He pulls me out, strengthening me with each occurrence. 

Can you relate?  God waits for your call.  He wishes to sit in the driver’s seat.  He will guide, protect and place you exactly where needed at just the right time.  Don’t rush ahead of Him.  Listen to your Omniscient Father in times of storm.  Choose Him as your Lord and Savior.  No matter the past driving record. . .as you accept Him and follow Him; He will provide a lifetime license as a Christian and use you as a vehicle for His light!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig        

No comments:

Post a Comment