Friday, January 3, 2014

Hand Over the Pen

Last summer I decided to create a list of commitments to push aside a few lingering eating disorders thoughts working diligently to creep into my thoughts.  Prayer guided each commitment; I lifted each one to God once established.  My flesh is too weak to stick to these alone.  I also shared them with my husband to obtain an accountability partner.  He willingly took this position and loves me through those “tougher” days.  He neither hovers nor harasses.  He remains by my side to provide strength and space.  Daily prayers remind me to look to the One Source able to accomplish listed commitments. 

In searching for encouraging words to post on the list, I found two in particular I would like to share. . .

“You can’t start the next chapter if you keep re-reading the last one!” 
OUCH!
Over the years, we all take pictures; some create an elaborate scrapbook while others organize them on computer or in a file at home.  Looking back on all the pictures produces smiles, laughter and joy.  Recalling funny statements, crazy wardrobes or obstacles encountered can bring entertainment to the family.  Unfortunately, pictures also exist which stir up negative emotions, sadness and regret.  But, all write the story of our lives. 

I look back at pictures portraying a story of one sad little girl who turned to the world for comfort, love and help.  Looking closely, you see all the pain and sadness in her eyes.  The smile cannot hide such emotions derived from all kinds of twists and turns.  Each chapter led to another filled with turmoil and tainted character.  The story continues, chapter after chapter, ending with this girl completely weak and unable to proceed.  She fell to her knees, lifted hands and surrendered the life written in previous pages. . .in comes the sequel!

Typically, sequels fall short in my mind.  I feel the author created a great book and should leave it at that.  Well, the Author of this little girl’s story actually created a sequel worth reading; one that supersedes the first in all aspects.  See, the Author of the sequel actually was given the position of co-author in the first one.  In lay the problem.  The little girl believed she could write well and knew how the story should play out.  She was wrong!  By the grace given from her Author, a second chance occurred.  The sequel begins by repairing the consequences from the first book.  Each chapter restores strength, courage, joy and health.  When the correct Author writes the story, the ending always turns out perfect. 

So, in making my commitments, I must place the first book in a position on the shelf, labeling it History!  I need to hand over the pen, quit re-reading MY writing and daily read the writings of His story for my life.  Opening the first book leaves me feeling unworthy and hopeless.  Reading His daily writing leaves me feeling worthy of service and overflowing with hope for future chapters.  Time to close the chapters of MY past, seeing it only as a tool to help any others I may encounter.  My Author will open those chapters only when useful to another one of His children.  And when re-read, He will hold my hand, support and encourage. 

Is re-reading your past hindering your future?  Who is writing your story?  Commitments are possible when given the correct tools and situations.  God provides the tools and letting go of the past allows for the situations to be right, to begin anew.  Put down the pen, lay aside the chapters of before and begin a sequel filled with newness, strength and joy!  One by one, the chapters will accumulate and then looking back you will smile, laugh and praise Him who provided such joyful living.  He holds the plans and purpose for each of our lives. 

The next post I will share my other encouraging word that I found. . .


Until then,
Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig         

No comments:

Post a Comment