Wednesday, November 25, 2015

One Question


That time of year rolls around again.  You know, full bellies, empty bank accounts, increase in travel while decrease in relaxation.  Stress builds when family gatherings fail in expectation.  Frustration enters the scene when that one special gift sells out.  Depression can seep into the season as darkness sets in earlier and thoughts of loved one’s absence due to various causes.  The holidays do not always bring joy, laughter and peace to everyone.

For some, the struggle is real.  Whether it be loss of a loved one, loneliness, eating disorders, depression, alcoholism, etc.; the holidays can trigger so much pain, difficulty and anxiety.  How can we overcome such inevitable triggers?

One question rings loudly in my ears.  It was asked at church during the children’s Thanksgiving celebration.  The question takes focus off self and destructive thinking.  The question begins the season on the right foot.  The question is deep; yet, one heard every year. . .

What are you most thankful for?

Seems pretty trivial, huh?  But, what if we took this question into account EVERY day?  Before stepping foot on the floor, we answered this question and praised the One that provides. 

I found it difficult to answer such a question that day.  Again, the question arises every year and I can easily ask others for an answer; but, I could not narrow it down. . .
My job – I cannot describe in words the thanks felt for the current position held.  It provides all I ever desired in a career and I look forward to going each day.  My family – well, that is a given.  The three individuals that put up with me daily are amazing.  My health – definitely.  I never imagined such healing that has taken place over the last year. 

All these items rank highly on the list.  To be honest, I hid my true answer due to fear of judgement.  My true answer to the above question may seem cheesy or basic to most.  Over the years I have come to realize what really matters most in life.  I have quite a bit to go in maturity; but, here are a few points to keep in mind when observing thanks.

In the morning, take a moment to look at the sky.  Go ahead, look at it!  Beauty is available to us at any moment of the day.  Thank You God for such a peaceful picture.  Before getting out of bed, take a moment to breathe.  I mean it, take a full complete breath!  Life is given freely and another moment available to impact others.  Thank You God for such an opportunity as this.  While driving to a destination, turn the radio off and prepare yourself.  Though we know not the exact details which lay ahead, the place holds purpose in our story.  Thank You God for trusting us to serve in such a mighty way.  At the next meal, take a moment to chew and allow every taste bud to participate in the activity.  Seriously, enjoy the food!  Thank You God for such nourishment provided daily.  Then, when lying down at night, close your eyes and breathe deeply.  Another day written down in your story; whether success or failure fill the pages, purpose exists.  Thank You God for working all this stuff here on Earth out for good for those loving You!

Now, had I answered the question as such, the kids would have looked at me as though I had three heads.  But, I can tell you that remaining focused on these things keeps the devil at bay.  The triggers of this season hold no power against a thankful heart.  Filling thoughts with Truth guards and protects the mind from toxicity.  Adjusting the eyesight from worldly things to Eternal treasures keeps purpose in the center of every scene. 

Triggers hold the ability to come full force blindside.  I promise you, beginning the day in thanksgiving and praise will provide a solid ground with which to stand and strength to overcome those sneaky triggers.  Will the pain, difficulty and anxiety appear?  Yes; but, with solid ground, clean hearts, protected mind and clear eyesight, processing through and healing from such moments comes quickly.  The Holy Spirit, activated within, arrives just in time to wield off the enemy and his schemes. 

Will you join me and begin today living in thanksgiving?  It need not be just one time a year.  Let us focus on one thing every day and be in continual praise to God for such a beautiful life.  Remember, we are not Home yet and do not belong here.  Keep focused on Eternity – our true Home.


AND. . .Keep praying harder than the devil can work. 
Sheree Craig          

No comments:

Post a Comment