Monday, November 23, 2015

Just a Phase. . .Really?


Typical day:  my son wakes, gets ready, cleans up from breakfast, gathers needed items and waits by the door.  His routine leaves room to play on device and take a breather before beginning a busy day.  Sounds wonderful, right?  Well, my son is not the only child in the home required to get up, get ready and get out the door.  Not mentioning names or pointing fingers; but, there is this precious little angel living in my home lacking sense of time, care or focus.  Typical day:  numerous prompts given to said child to wake up, said child finally comes downstairs and sits with blanket in hand staring off in space.  Said child lacks the skill of decision making when choosing breakfast.  Daily, I spout off the menu available (which does not change) and patiently (okay, not so patiently) wait for an answer.  Once decided, hair still needs brushed, teeth cleaned, outfit changed, shoes on, backpack gathered up and glasses wiped off. 

Oh, the growing moments in this momma’s life does not end when the bell rings for first period.  After school, everything brought home ends up scattered throughout the kitchen floor.  After a shower at night, dirty clothes remain where removed (inside out at that)!  Hair soaking wet, said child receives numerous prompts to brush the tangled mess to prevent drying into a rat’s nest.  Bedtime includes the same kind of process involving said child’s ears failing to function and requests left unmet. 

Just a phase?  I hope.  Some days I feel like all I have accomplished includes various arguments with my child.  Some days I feel like no enjoyment came to my child due to mom spouting out commands.  Around 8PM each night, the remnants of my child’s presence exist in about every room. 

All this is simply an exhausted mom venting. . .I love this child with all my heart and know full well that I will miss this one day.  The cool part about this vent is that an eye opening lesson follows. 

My husband and I observed said child at supper one evening.  This particular evening’s supper had a time limit.  We needed to leave very soon in order to arrive on time to church service.  Our child talks about a mile a minute on various topics as though we have not come together in days.  Then, child realizes a drink is needed with the meal, meanwhile only one tiny bite had been taken.  I watch the child carelessly clean out a cup, dry it off with a paper towel, fill with ice, then water, then put the lid on it and adjust the straw just perfectly.  All the while, talking continuously.  Not a care in the world. 

Ten minutes pass of a twenty minute time limit.  The rest of the family near done with food and there sits a plate still 75% full.  Hair still needs brushed, socks changed and shoes picked out.  A constant reminder that we need to leave spouts out of my husband and I.  Not a care in the world.

We finally get out the door.  Said child sits in the back seat, blanket in hand and eyes gazed out the window.  Words still flow a mile a minute.  Not a care in the world.

See, I have this whole thing wrong.  My heart has been focusing on what time said child takes away that I could be doing something else.  What would that something else be?  For that, I do not have an answer.  My eyes see that the presence of this child reveals in every room every evening.  Why is that a bad thing?  Said child takes time, relaxes, and enjoys every minute of the day, all while trying to have a conversation with me.  Yet, my thoughts remain five minutes ahead, focusing on what needs done and where we need to be soon.  How much do I miss by acting in such a manner?

The lesson here: serve with a loving heart, see the beauty in the presence of loved ones and live in the present.  God commands these things.  Our purpose here is evident in this eye opening lesson from my lovely child.  Wake up each morning and ask God how can I serve today with a loving heart?  Pray diligently for eyes to remain open and see His presence everywhere I look.  And live this day as if it were my last (because we have no idea when that time will come). 

Just a phase?  I hope NOT.  Each day that passes with my children, I learn lessons and grow in relationship with God.  These little people in my home reveal leadership skills greater than any person holding office in our country.  These little people lead me closer to God daily by displaying example of serving, seeing and savoring each moment. 

I love these children and thank God for the two beautiful blessings (even though on most days I feel less than competent to complete such a job as parenting).


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.  
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment