Tuesday, August 19, 2014

It is Okay to be Homesick

First grade brings troubles to the days of a precious little girl I love.  Think about it, the day includes coloring pages, drawing pictures, lunch, two recesses and hanging out with some cool kids.  Sounds rough, right?  Well, to my little girl whose mind can only focus on being away from her home for seven hours straight it is rough.  The thought overwhelms and fear consumes.  In no way can she imagine making it through without breaking down and calling home.  Our mornings fill with tears, hiding backpacks, refusing to put shoes on, remaining in pajamas and clinging to the seat in the van for dear life.  I am not exaggerating in the least bit!

So, I have to be the bad guy and sternly inform her that she must get ready and proceed through the morning.  I gently let her know staying home is not an option.  I try every mommy tool in the box; yet, most mornings none works to fix the sadness.  Prayers shoot straight to Heaven.  Sadness, confusion and frustration still remain in her heart.  I call in help from the loving staff at school to peel her away from the vehicle and enter the building.  I then leave in tears, wishing I could take her back home with me and never let go. 

The girls at work gave me a fantastic idea. . .buy something that represents you for my daughter to take to school and know you are with her throughout the day.  I loved the thought.  I presented it to my daughter and she became so excited.  While at the store we decided on matching necklaces.  We ventured to the jewelry department and skimmed through all the boxes containing necklaces in our price range.  One particular box stood out amongst the rest.  It was purple while all other were gray.  I picked it up and there it was. . .the perfect choice.  Two necklaces, each with a butterfly charm; one engraved mother, one engraved daughter.  The only one in a sea of choices; coincidence, I think not?  Special gift from Someone Greater. . .I think so.

Homesickness ranks high on the list of painful situations.  I experienced it many times as a child.  I would not say that I have overcome the pain, but learned to push through it.  I still long for my mom and the comforts of living under her roof; yet, I now have a family of my own and created comforts to satisfy in the intervals without my mom.  Since my new birth and becoming a Christian, another Homesickness developed which I must process daily.  This will last until the day I get to meet my Lord and Savior.

Thankfully my Father provides Truth as a reminder He is with me at every moment.  Trials and tribulations seep into the hours of each day.  Sadness, confusion and frustration dwell in my heart.  The thought of making it through often overwhelms and Satan uses that to flood me with fear.  Refusing to face the day, running away or hiding out never works.  Ultimately, I still must face this world.  Quickly, I remember Who is with me.  God would love for His children to come Home and hold them in His arms.  But, He has work for us to do here to grow His Kingdom.  Therefore, He often calls in help from loving Christians to peel us away from the enemy’s hold and help see clearer.  We then remember this world is our temporary home and Truth promises He waits for us when our work here is done. 

Thanks be to Jesus for dying on the cross so that we now have the Holy Spirit dwelling within to confidently know He is with us.  God holds our hand and guides us through this world.  Cling to Him, wear His Word daily on your heart and spread that Truth to others experiencing Homesickness. 

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever”
John 14:16

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  John 15:5

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  Hebrews 13:5

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment