Monday, September 9, 2013

Today Can be Sunday!

“It’s just another manic Monday
Wish it were Sunday
‘Cause that’s my fun day
My I don’t have to run day
It’s just another manic Monday!”

The loud beeping breaks my sleep cycle and begins my Monday.  I feel as though I only took a nap.  The world awaits, numerous tasks lay ahead and no button exists to take return to Sunday.  So, I must suck it up, put my feet on the floor and move forward.  Monday marks the beginning of a week filled with anxiety provoking events, work extending beyond time allotted and a calendar filled with scheduled appointments.  Oh, I wish it were Sunday. 

I realize time extends forward and will not stand still just for me.  I didn’t rest enough, finish enough chores and failed to prepare for this week.  Can someone pass me the ‘easy’ button please?  Oh, I wish it were Sunday.

It’s time to get the backpacks filled, agendas signed and lunches made.  It’s time to gas up the mom taxi, iron clothes and polish up the shoes.  Monday marks the day of adjusting back to routine; back to dragging kids out of bed, begging for cooperation in order to arrive at school on time and then arguing the after school routine as well.  Oh, I wish it were Sunday.

THAT’S MY FUN DAY!

The artist above hit the nail on the head.  I don’t think the artist’s meaning in the above lyrics coincides with my thoughts. . .but, here they are. 

I am certain 99% of Americans can relate to the above description of Monday morning thoughts.  The situations faced, schedule requirements and hindrances may differ somewhat; but, the underlying thoughts harmonize.  Avoiding a manic Monday appears top priority at the sound of the alarm.  We could roll back over and tuck our head under the covers; that sounds like the perfect solution, right?  How about calling in sick to the world today? 

The weight of the world can weigh heavily on our shoulders.  Oh, if every day could be Sunday!  No running here and there, no chores, no preparing for the day. . .just a nice, peaceful day filled with family and relaxation.  Nope, that is not the main reason why I wish every day were Sunday. 

IT’S MY FUN DAY!

Why?  I wake up, bring my family together and head to a warm, welcoming place of worship.  My church family comes together to recognize the reason life exists.  The focus shifts away from work, errands, stress, deadlines, pressures of fulfilling specific roles and it moves to God.  He becomes the center of our thoughts and an overwhelming peace fills our hearts.  All that happened the week prior doesn’t matter.  All that lay ahead for the week to come doesn’t matter.  Our one True King and His plan for our lives is all that matters. 

Surrounding ourselves with fellow believers not only brings joy and comfort but also accountability.  It keeps our focus on God and building our faith, trust and hope on His Word.  Filling ourselves with Truth while focusing on the example set forth by Jesus, Son of God, provides strength and perseverance to face any kind of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Oh, if every day could be Sunday!

Well, it can AND it should!  Just because the calendar says it is Monday doesn’t mean our minds have to go there.  God is not just a Sunday helper.  His protection does not stop 12:00 pm Sunday evening.  No fine print exists in the Bible stating – not valid Monday through Friday!  Take Him with you at all times, use Truth to combat any negative thoughts that steal your day.  He will show the path for the day and oh, the joy and peace which He planned for you is indescribable.  Keep God close with each step, making each and every moment faced easier.  No ‘easy’ button needed. . .only faith, trust and hope in the Word of God.  Take each step today knowing full well that He walks right beside you.      

Roll over, turn off the alarm and jump out of bed. . .it is a brand new day and His mercies begin anew.  He already went ahead of you, protected every hour of this Monday and waits in excitement to walk with you through this day.  Let Him in.  Don’t keep Him in a Sunday box.  Let it be Sunday every day!  Today is our fun day!

Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment