Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Pages of Our Scrapbook

I plop down beside my daughter one day as she thumbs through pages of pictures.  She loves to reminisce and inquires about past characteristics of each family member.  As she gathers all the info, she then relays that to her babies and acts out different scenes of our past.  Good or bad scenarios. . .she does not care.  The memories enhance her imagination as she cares for her babies daily. 

This particular day, she desired to learn about her life as a baby.  So, I sent her to our scrapbook shelf to pick up the one containing pictures of my pregnancy and up until her first birthday.  After that, I retired from scrap booking and allowed Wal-Mart to take over.  As she flipped each page, I began to think about the various roles I played throughout my thirty years.  It seems with each season, God placed me in a role which suited perfectly.  He provided strength, endurance and ability to complete whichever task or role appeared.  My daughter asked numerous questions with each picture.  She viewed them with many emotions.  Anger arose when a picture appeared with her brother participating in a fun activity without her (I was pregnant); excitement came when a picture showed her nine (well eight) month residence; laughter sounded when a picture showed a family member being silly; and peace when a picture showed us caring for her in some way.  She would ask why we did those fun things without her, what characteristics she had while in my belly, where those silly pictures were taken and how did we take care of her.  The years flashed like a movie through my mind.  It seems so long ago that all these events occurred; yet, she is only five.  Oh, how our family matured over the years.

It seems we never quite understand the why of situations while in them.  But, reflecting back on all the times, just within the past five years, brought answers.  For example. . .why infertility for so long – the disappointments, sadness, frustrations, anger, physical pain and hopeless nights.  The experience led us to grow a little closer to Him.  We relied on faith to see us through the disappointing appointments and all the emotions following.  When we turned it over to Him, pregnancy happened.  He was preparing our angel, sending her at just the right time.  Other whys include – why stay home during my pregnancy (He knew I needed to be in a relaxing atmosphere and that the end would require days in the hospital); why difficulty during my pregnancy (again, drew us closer to Him); or why returning back to work after her.  The list goes on and on.  Moral of the story. . .He always provides as we rely on Him.

Think back!  Do you see His mighty work?  Disappointments arose when the plan did not go YOUR way, sadness when someone else received what should have been YOURS, frustration and anger followed when the whys were not apparent.  But, dig deeper into it.  He remained present through it all; whether He was asked or not, He still arrived at each scene.  Often times, we don’t understand the situation in front of us; but, have faith, trust in Him and it will all make sense one day.  Every moment lived packs meaning if lived for Him.  You may never realize the impact made on another’s life because you display faith through a trial.  Fulfilling a role you rather not, may lead to the greatest ministry you ever experience.  Waiting patiently (what’s that!?!) for answers to said prayers may bring the greatest maturing in you as a Christian.

Let us together, wake up each day with open hearts, pushing aside all the whys and living boldly for Him.  Trust Him with our daily itinerary.  He will work all out for His good and blessings will overflow as we follow His plan.  Look at how far He has brought you, the situations He has saved you from, the growth through the trials and know that each and every piece of your past grew you to the child He intended.  Our Father loves each of His children and smiles each time a step in faith and growth appear.  Plop down and thumb through the many pictures of your past. . .reminisce with your Father. 

God, thank you for growing me through each season.  Thanks for the endless listening, counseling, rescues and blessings you provide even when this stubborn child rebels.  I love you and pray that each day I can express this through my actions and words.  Thank you for creating me and allowing me to work for you here. . .until that work is completed and I can meet you face to face, I pray for strength to remain obedient.  Fill me with Your Word each day.  Thank you, my Father. . .


Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment