Thursday, June 13, 2013

Role Confusion

An all day car ride led to interesting times.  It began quite nicely with my 9 year old on his Kindle and my 5 year old playing with her baby doll.  Then, it happened. . .the trauma that starts all the drama.  My daughter’s drink falls to the floor.  She stares at it, waiting for someone to pick it up for her (she so can reach it).  Since no one jumps to her rescue, she begins demanding help and yelling at her brother.  He simply states, “It is not mine to pick up.”  So, we have selfish vs. selfish.  Meanwhile, the drink continues to leak out of her cup (luckily just water).  Mean mother becomes involved and demands the older pick it up for the younger and I think I threw out a few threats or something (we won’t go there).  He did and proceeded to torment her with the straw by waving it in front of her face until she would grab it.  Of course a few drops remained inside the straw; so, water flings into her eye.  Immediately, tears of anger, hurt and sadness fall. 

We got over this one and continued to the first stop.  The fights continue over who will unlock the van, who gets out on which side of the van, which stop will be next, etc.  Amongst all the drama and fighting, quite a few glimpses of kind acts from each child.  My daughter holds the door open 99% of the time.  My son paid for an afternoon treat.  My son rocks the baby doll to sleep a time or two (don’t tell his friends, it would ruin his rep).  My daughter cooperates throughout each store and resists the urge to throw a fit when her brother purchased a toy (with his own money) and she received nothing but a smile from her mother (which I think is better than a toy, but whatever!).  Neither recalls these kind acts as they still fight the same fights and resent one another. 

As my daughter takes a nap on the way home and my son sits quietly taking in the view, I reflect back on our trip and correlate the relationship between my children to marriage.  In marriage, selfish vs. selfish appears too often, almost daily.  Bringing two characteristics under one roof appears quite difficult.  Since the first sin in the garden, conflict existed.  The comfort between man and woman ceased.  “Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.” (Genesis 3:7)  Shame arose and the need to impress one another struck male and female.  Honesty flew out the window as each looked out for self.  Blame was the game. . .The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”  Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”  The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”  (Genesis 3:12-13)  Fault placed on anyone but self.  Sounds like my children. . .sounds like marriages. 
I find myself too often waiting for my husband to take care of a task, fix something for me or reduce my “to do” list.  When he makes no inclination to begin, I demand, sometimes in a louder decibel than I should, that he help.  A battle begins and ugly words fly out of my mouth.  I show little concern toward the day he experienced or the workload placed in front of him for the day.  Nope, it is all about me and making my life easier, right? 
With tears of anger, hurt and sadness the chores are completed.  Lies fill our heads.  “If she even realized all the pressures I have going on right now. . .I get no respect around here.”  “If he would think of someone besides himself, I could get a lot more done around here and be able to relax. . .doesn’t he care about me at all?”  These are just two examples. . .the list continues.  Who wins?  The enemy.  He found his way as a wedge between two people who madly love each other and were placed together as a team to work for God.  So, while the enemy fills our minds with lies, we lose sight on our mission for that day.  We may even lose a week’s worth of missions due to the failure to let go of anger!
So, what do we do about it?  We demand that Satan get behind us and remember Who already won this battle for us.  God placed two people together to become ONE.  We are to build each other up; may his strengths cover my weaknesses and my strengths cover his weaknesses.  Let us go to the Word and see what God intended before humankind messed it all up. . .“The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” (Genesis 2:18)  A marriage struggles when the woman demands a leadership role instead of helpmate which God designed.  “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25)  A marriage struggles when the man thinks only of self instead of giving up self for his helpmate. 
Role confusion + lack of respect + lack of love = a huge playground for Satan.  Let us push aside all resentment, pressures to succeed, need to ALWAYS be right and selfish ways. . .let us set our priorities right beginning today!  Start from scratch, get a pen and paper and write out your “to do” list. . .#1 Love my spouse as God intended.  #2 Respect my spouse as God intended.  #3 Dive into His Word and learn the role He intends for me to play in marriage.
Let’s see what happens as we continue the same list each and every day.  Nothing else matters! 
 
Keep praying harder than the devil can work.

Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment